A few quick "newer to me" Ebay tips!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silvergmen, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

Hello all! I have been buying a good amount of morgans on ebay and i have learned a few new things that i think may help some of you buyers and wanted to pass it along. I searched the forum, and i dont believe these same tips have been listed recently (but im sure i could have missed it).

#1 - A lot of people cant take good pictures and therefore don't attract as many potential buyers. I LOVE that NGC takes pictures of the coins they grade, as i have been able to look them up and see what the coin really looks like. I would not have bought the coin otherwise, and i got a couple of great deals because the seller put up some bad pictures. Bad pictures on NGC coins can equal a great deal!

#2 - Make an offer listings. This has worked for me a bunch of times now. Wait and see if the coin has been sitting a long while, and make an offer you feel really good about if they accept. I combine this with #1 above, and have scored a few nice deals.

- Variation: dont be afraid to make multiple offers even when rejected..wait a few days to see if the coin is still there and make another offer. You get 5 offers, so patience can pay off.

#3 - Bad rated sellers. I used to stay away like the plague. But i noticed most of the poor feedback was either not coin related or was on raw coins where people didn't like the coin in hand. These dealers tend to list the coins cheaper, and as long as its graded by the top two companies i have had no problems and scored some good deals.

Have any good tips & tricks that are not widely known that you can share?

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Sounds a bit like me.
    -- Sellers with terrible images.
    -- Making offers

That sort of thing.

Silvergmen likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

while the ngc pictures are usually good enough to match the coin I doubt many would agree that they are a great way to see what the coins “really looks like”. The standard pics they use are low quality quick pictures designed for nothing more than authentication.

multiple low offers is a good way to end up getting blocked by people.

5. Silvergmen

well the pictures have worked out really Well for me, and are much better than the ones on the listings I am taking about.

have not been blocked by anybody yet that I am aware of but I have got a lot of great deals from accepted offers!

brokrken likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

As far as feedback, it is always a good idea to review what the negative was for. Someone might have sold ten items and one sale had a negative based on something out of the seller's control (like shipping delays) or based on a buyer being overly picky. The negatives that are more concerning are from those that cancel sales, don't ship, or send the wrong items (then you have to decide if it is worth the risk-which it still might be since you have ebay/paypal/CC protection).

Silvergmen likes this.
  7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Really??? NGC's photos are terrible, I can take better photos with my phone. I know this isn't a Morgan Dollar but as an example, this is a photo I took of a Jefferson Nickel. Compare this to the NGC photo and you will see what I mean.

[​IMG]

Who are these E-Bay sellers who can't even eclipse NGC's photo quality and how are they still in business?

You technically never said that you make low or lowball offers, you said "make an offer you feel really good about if they accept." To me that reads as an offer that is 20-30% below the list price. I think Baseball is talking about real lowball offers where the offer is less than 50% of list price. Even then, I would assume that most sellers (like me) would employ the autodecline feature to filter out all of the lowball offers and would never see them. And nobody has the time to go through their listings to find the declined lowball offers just to add some clown to the block bidder list.

Personally, I like your style, and I wish there were more E-Bay buyers willing to really delve into the "best offer" option.

brokrken and ddddd like this.
  8. Silvergmen

I know the NGC photos are not amazing, but they use consistent lighting and I can get a good feel for the coin. Some of these eBay pictures are terrible. Sift through Morgan’s for 10 minutes and you will see many bad photos.

I agree the best offer feature is great and yes 20-30% off is about right!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  9. baseball21

It was mostly just the you have x offers and keep doing it even if they rejected it thing. If it’s reasonable and they’re interested they’ll likely counter or at least email and explain the logic. If they’re just rejecting without a counter at all I wouldn’t keep going more than like once more with no communication.

10. Silvergmen

Yes I get where you are coming from, but I have found people change there minds when a coin sits for a long time. I agree shooting over 5 offers with no response doesn’t make sense, but my main point was don’t give up super quick (as many do). Negotiation is a good way to have a win win and get a great deal.

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

IMO, that is on the seller. If you don't want people to waste your time with what you (the seller) considers "lowball" offers, then utilize the auto-decline feature offered by eBay to filter those out. Once the seller has done that, then they shouldn't be outright rejecting offers without countering. At that point, it isn't the buyer who is creating the problem, it is the seller.

If an offer is placed by a buyer that falls within the range of the seller's auto accept and auto decline price, the seller should be prepared to either accept that offer or provide the buyer with a counteroffer, or at least a message to explain why you are rejecting the offer.

It is pretty easy as a buyer to discern if the offer was rejected by the auto-decline feature as the rejection will be instantaneous. If the buyer uses up all their offers and each one is auto-declined, then they never made an offer that would have been considered and there is no deal to make. However, if at any point, their offer is not auto-declined, it is then incumbent on the seller to respond to that offer. To ignore it, or reject if outright without explanation is stain on that seller's reputation.

Sorry for the rant, but this is one of my eBay pet peeves. As a seller, I am trying to sell my coins at the highest prices that I can. How can I in good conscience turn around and blame the buyer for utilizing the tools given to them in an attempt to buy the coin at the cheapest price they can?

Theodosius and Silvergmen like this.
  12. Silvergmen

Amen!

13. baseball21

I don’t really have anything against what either of you said other than maybe space the offers out more. I do really believe though that if you send say two with no counter you’d be much better off sending a message and explaining why with some data. My initial response was obviously very short and I’ve been on both sides. What I should have communicated better is if you aren’t getting a response after two either reach out with an email or probably move on. I’m also a big fan of sending a message for the offer explaining why in the first place.

I have nothing against negotiating I just wish more would say why to start the conversation. There are times the offer is right and there’s times it’s not, with not communication there’s a lot of times people end up frustrated on both sides

Silvergmen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted