A few new ones

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by regandon, Dec 2, 2009.

1. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Just wanted to show you guys a few new ones I just picked up. There off to NGC next week.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

While the other two are beauties, I have yet to see a Wildman in such mint state. It may be one of the nicest well preserved piece out there.

4. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Thanks Zohar. I've been on the hunt for a year trying to find a nice high grade Wildman Taler.

This next coin is also very hard to find in high grade. It has a mintage of 90,000.

Attached Files:

5. hiho

hiho off to work we go

I'm anxious to see how NGC grades this. Has to be Mint State Something!

6. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

Your wild man exemple is is fatastic, I have to say Regadon , that your collection is quite impressive.

7. Luis

Luis Senior Member

Those are awesome, Don.

Could you tell us more about the first?

8. regandon

regandon Senior Member

The Wild Man was legendary and a fearsome figure in German folklore. He was colossal, without clothing and was quite hairy. He was often shown with leafage for a loincloth and holding a tree. It is said that the legend of the Wild Man started in Germany by miners recruited from the Ore Mountains, to work at the mines in the Harz Mountains around the year 1529. After the Wild Man legend began to grow, the Wild Man became the symbol for the Harz Mountains. On the numismatic side. The legend had grown so big that the dukes of Brunswick started minting coins with a Wild Man on it. The WildMan Taler was minted for quite a few centuries.

9. Luis

Luis Senior Member

That's awesome! I want one now.

Draft saved Draft deleted