A few new falling horseman

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Mar 24, 2020.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I've been busy with school and haven't been posting much lately but got a nice FH today I wanted to share. It is an earlier issue from Antioch that's not in RIC and is a shield variant as well. It's 24mm / 5.07g.

IMG_5793.jpg

I've had these for a while but my last FH post got 1 reply so I held off posting them.

An early issue from Heraclea as well as a shield variant
    IMG_5787.jpg

This one I thought had a sigma in the left field but it's just an epsilon so nothing special here.
    IMG_5790.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I enjoy seeing your new FH but have not been buying many for the last few years so you have seen all my coins. I will not be competing with you for FH any more. Come to think of it, the current situation closing coin shows and raising prices (according to the CNG letter) means I am pretty much out of the hobby. I plan to do some more super macro photos (coins until the weather improves and then things in the yard) until the hobby returns to the old way (if it ever does). I'm glad you are finding things worth buying.

4. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I think it is still possible to make good buys, but it takes time abd attention to follow a lot of auctions. This weekend I bought a republican denarius in vf for 35 dollars, the week before a rare Vespasian tet in f/vf for 70$, and several Byzantine coins for less than 10$ each. With the kroner totally beaten up by the oil price and expensive postage it still adds up, but I’m able to keep the hobby. I have to give up collecting Norway types, though. Or raise 1500$ for every new coin, minimum. Waiting patiently for that market to crash.

5. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Nice additions Randy, I will dig out a few of my odd ones and post them for you.
    I don't have any shield varieties though :(

randygeki likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, Randy, glad you got around to posting them.

randygeki likes this.
  7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Agreed, it's always nice seeing your FHs, Randy... I've recently got a couple that I haven't photo'd or posted yet that I'll plan to tomorrow.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a very nice one, @randygeki ... I like the matte black patina, and that is a clear reverse. The shield has no design! Almost looks like it is clear... maybe lexan!

Once again, those crafty Romans were upgrading their Legionary Armor. Lexan Rectangular Scutii for the Infantry, and ROUND Scutii for the Equestrii !!!
    upload_2020-3-25_9-4-42.png upload_2020-3-25_9-8-43.png upload_2020-3-25_9-5-25.png

upload_2020-3-25_19-7-20.png
    RI Constantius Gallus Caesar 351-354 AE21 FEL TEMP REPARATIO soldier-spearing-fallen-horseman RIC 348 Siscia

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    tenbobbit and randygeki like this.
  9. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

This one is not pretty but it is my favourite.

Constantivs ii, 180* Reverse die rotation double strike.
    Giving the Reverse 2 exergue lines at 12 & 6 O'clock, plus partial other bits

IMG_5443.JPG IMG_5444.JPG

randygeki, gogili1977, TheRed and 5 others like this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all ! Hope to see those FH soon.

Looking forward to the pics.
    I've only gotten 3 FH this year (only ancients I've gotten this year). When I got this last one (from Germany) I opened in the bathroom quickly tossing the package in the trash and washing the coin and my hands with antibacterial soap lol... I've been watching too much news lately.

Thats neat! I have a similar one

IMG_4884.jpg

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I wonder how those shields would hold up :D

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Alegandron

upload_2020-3-25_19-17-53.png
    RI Julian II 360-363 CE Fallen Horseman AE3

Bing and randygeki like this.
  13. Alegandron

I worked with some plastics later in my career that were bullet proof...

A buddy of mine had a whole wall facing his back yard that was all bullet-proof "glass". Cool, and expensive.

randygeki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted