A few museum shots.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

At the British museum there are coins scattered all about, mostly just as illustrations to other displays. But a few stood out. A couple shots were with one member in mind!

8718795D-CBD8-447F-AF60-EB181402DCAE.jpeg 1108A474-C187-4EF1-A273-CF6FB957A048.jpeg 1615719C-9631-40B9-A867-35CA59E017BE.jpeg 602E5842-11F3-4E43-97B6-7D13E2A4FB94.jpeg EBF4F515-AF5B-4CBE-BE0D-C154B56EBB5F.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

OMG , I am in love with every single coin here, but I am just DROOLING over that aes signatum bar!

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice pics, Ken. It's great you get to see that stuff.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O wow! thanks for sharing Ken..:)

6. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great pics Ken. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the cast bronze! I have a few of these, but nothing like the currency bar.
    P8181311.JPG DSCN0860.JPG
    The British Museum is on my bucket list.

7. ominus1

i believe i've seen these things for sale before but had no idea what they were and in my ignorance let them go...i guess it's one way to pay for an education...9_9...

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Quite a pile of aurei there! Magnificent!

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

They're pretty inexpensive so I bought a bunch to use as a backsplash for my stove...

CT-AesSignatumBacksplash.jpg

...NOT! :D

If you can even find one for sale it would be five or six figures. The ones in the above photoshopped picture are all held by the British Museum. The bull (mirror imaged and shown twice) is the same one Ken saw in person and photographed :).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I would sell my stove for one of those aes bars!!!

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Add the fridge, dishwasher and a few TV's :woot:

12. ominus1

haha!..that's Italian for good eating ^^

TIF likes this.
  13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I’ll be there in July. Can’t wait.

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice! Wish I could go

15. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

5 AM. At the train station to go to Paris. We’ll hit the Louvre. Can’t remember if they have coins displayed there. It’s been 20 years since I was there last.

Pellinore, rrdenarius and randygeki like this.
  16. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

They have some but it's a small assortment scattered amongst their other, larger objects.

If you're coming back through London, I'd suggest stopping by the British Library, right next to St. Pancras, which has a Magna Carta and other incredible books/documents on display.

arizonarobin likes this.
  17. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Fantastic pics Ken Another museum worth visiting is the Bode Museum in Berlin. There are something like 5 or 6 rooms filled with hundreds of really phenomenal coins. I wish my pics would do it justice but you get the idea IMG_4002.JPG IMG_4004.JPG

18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Obligatory pic from the Trier museum hoard:
    L CE880426-6B13-4054-8712-692DB2054A03.jpeg

19. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

If you should go to Venice, make a visit to the Museo Correr. They have glass cases that you can put your phone on and make excellent pictures. Here are some gorgeous Renaissance medals, some by Pisanello and Bellini.

Boldu self portrait wo.jpg

Self portrait by Giovanni Boldù, 1458

Pisanello Child and Malatesta 92.jpg

Pisanello, about 1440

Mehmet II wo92.jpg

Mehmet II, portrait by Gentile Bellini, about 1480

20. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I thought the Louvre Museum could be visited electronically through the Internet. They have an appropriate site, I believe. Don't they?

21. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Years ago, I gained access to the British Museum student's room to examine coins in their cabinets that are not on display. I simply had to submit a request ahead of time with an introductory letter from "someone known to them". On the two occasions I did this, I had letters from academics, one who had a published book in the British Museum, and the other was my father-in-law, an American professor who was on a teaching exchange in Loughborogh England. Neither are numismatists but simply recognized academics.

Not sure if this is still possible, but it was an amazing opportunity for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted