A few general questions from a newbie:

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Alexamonkey, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Alexamonkey

Alexamonkey New Member

I have a ton of questions I've been 'collecting' along with my coins. I thought maybe I could get a few out of the way at once.

1) I've seen examples of doubled dies that are very slight, some not detectable by the naked eye.... but there are also a lot of coins with thick bubbly letters, many of which appear a bit doubled, but as I understand it are not DD's. So what I'm trying to get a handle on is where the line is drawn. (also why do some have big bubbly letters?)

2) Is there any way to tell definitively if a coin is a proof?

3) I know you aren't supposed to wash coins (very hard for me as I am an obsessive metal polisher)... occasionally though I have to rub a coin under running water as it is so filthy I can't even tell what it is. I was wondering if boiling a coin to loosen dirt is acceptable.

4) Is there any trick to determining if something like a chip or missing lettering is a mint error or damage done in circulation?

5) Why does it seem there are two kinds of dimes, one mat and one shiny?

Thanks a lot, I'm just trying to get a handle on this stuff. I am a collector in general- Postcards, Photos, Stamps, and now coins, so I understand how complex this all can be. I am very eager to learn all I can! (I'll have more questions soon, don't want to overwhelm everyone.) Thanks again for all the help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I'll start with doubled dies. Observe as many doubled dies as you can online to get a feel for what they look like. Remember that it has to be an exact match to be a particular variety, since each coin struck by a pair of dies will have the exact same features. Doubled dies run the gamut from thicker letters to complete separation of design elements.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll take #3...if they are your coins, you can do what you want with them. Generally abrasive cleaning (any kind of rubbing with anything) has a possibility of lowering the value of collectable coins. If a coin is a common circulated coin, do what you want. If you are unsure, boiling is quite acceptable.

Alexamonkey likes this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I'll take number 2.

Depends on what coin. New more modern proofs have reflective mirrored fields (empty spaces of a coin) and frosty devices (raised design elements).

Most common charateristics of any proof are reflective surfaces, strong details, absolutley no wear (unless it's an impaired proof that found its way into circulation), and typically with US coins, the rims should be sharply squared off.

Also, some older coins can be difficult to differentiate between uncirculated and proofs, so we would use die markers at that point to help tell the difference.

Alexamonkey likes this.
  6. Alexamonkey

Alexamonkey New Member

That does help, I'll have to familiarize myself with die markers. It does seem like I might have a few proofs that made their way into circulation. Also, would this explain why I sometimes find an old coin which came from regular circulation that is absolutely pristine, while all the other coins I have from that year are worn?

7. Evan8

Here is a good place to start: http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com

And sometimes you can find uncirculated coins that are/were in circulation. Uncirculated is just a level of condition. Uncirculated doesnt necessarily mean that it was never in circulation. Also, one man's pristine is another man's junk. Read up on grading coins if you havent already. The only reason I say this, without seeing what you have, is that sometimes we get members who think they have something really great, and that isnt always the case. Im not saying you dont. Im just saying experience and knowledge are key:)

Alexamonkey likes this.
  8. Alexamonkey

Alexamonkey New Member

Well luckily, or unluckily, for me- with postcards (which I deal) as well as stamps (ditto) I've been disappointed so many times I've learned when I find possibilities to find out, but assume it isn't what I hope it is. Thanks for the website, I haven't found that one yet, which I can't understand, I've been through and have saved sooooo many websites about coins, I can't understand how it is I never found that one before. I have many many questions about many many coins, but I'm feeling a little shy about it.... I don't want to be a nuisance by posting too many questions.... is that something I should be concerned with? Thanks again for the help.

9. Evan8

That's what this site is for. To ask questions. Start a new thread for each coin, do one at a time, once or twice a day. Post decent pictures that are clear and cropped. Just doing that and you'll be fine. If there is any ridicule, just ignore it and move on:)

Draft saved Draft deleted