A few acients I am looking at.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Everett Guy, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

It was a huge surprise when I stopped by a modern coin dealer I know, he said he got these coins from a guy that passed away. He does not know much about ancients and asked me for any help I could give, I took a couple pics and am going to get some info to help him and may offer a deal on a couple. I like the "owl" coins. And a couple others. I am just glad to help him any way I can 20210822_154139.jpg 20210822_154201.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Top left is Lysimachus, appears to be a forgery. Next is an Athenian owl, likely forgery based on the surfaces. I wouldn't buy it. Next is a tetradrachm of Nero, a well-known forgery. I'm not sure what the last coin in the first row is, nor am I exactly sure what the first coin in the next row is supposed to be(Athenian didrachm?) but overall I'm not confident it is authentic because it's overall fabric looks modern to my eye. The two after that are modern replicas of "widow's mite" prutahs. On the last row, two modern replicas of Judaean shekels.

The smart thing to do is not to buy any ancients from any dealer whose ancients inventory looks like this unless you are certain you know enough to determine whether or not the coins are genuine

4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

The last coin on the first row is a likely replica of a shekel of Tyre. (But not THE shekel of Tyre.)

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Not a single one looks authentic. Best tell your guy that he needs to stick with what he knows, would be sad if the dealer started selling obvious fakes

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...yeah... i concur with @red_spork....on these....most look like replicas...advise caution... the holed owl might be authentic...idk...on these might be best to be Timothy ....Leery...:p:D

Everett Guy and DonnaML like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

They all look like bad fakes, don't bother.

Everett Guy likes this.
  8. hotwheelsearl

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yikes. Those are all most definitely fake. At least 6 are clear fakes to me and if that many stand out to me, I don't have faith in the rest.

Everett Guy and sand like this.
  10. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I have to agree with the posters above: These coins look like «tourist fakes» to me.

Everett Guy likes this.
  11. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

I appreciate all your input, there was some other coins I told him I suspected they were fake. He didnt even have them.out for sale since he had no clue on them. Well atleast he did say if he ever ran across any he would let me know. I will see him tomorrow and share info. He had 2 other once he showed me and asked if I knew if they were real and I looked at them and said they were copys...he said how do you know, I said, it says "copy" on the rim...lol. i just hope they were a gift to him from the guy who passed so hes not out any money.

sand likes this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

That stack of coins would have been worth several thousand if authentic. Lesson to us all: make sure you know what the heck you're doing before spending a single cent on collectibles.

As far as some of those coins go: the widows mites and Judean coins are fun for Bible School, or another religious-orientated kids program. There are several religious websites that sell big bags of Mites advertised as Bible School prizes or demonstrations.

Everett Guy likes this.
  13. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Agree with everyone here: most are obvious fakes, which would make me pass on anything else associated with the group.

Everett Guy and AussieCollector like this.
  14. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

All horrible fakes.

Everett Guy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted