A feudal polity in Pannonia in the 11th century

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Mar 3, 2022.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

The 'Duchy of Nitra' was established by the Arpadian dynasty as an appanage for the heirs of the Kingdom of Hungary starting around 1046, when Andrew I recognized the independent rule in Kabar and Slavic areas of eastern Moravia of Duke Bela, who had been ruling autonomously possibly since 1042. The territory allotted constituted 'tercia pars regni' -- a third of the kingdom -- and was ruled after Bela by the heirs presumptive of the Crown until 1108, when it was annexed under the king's rule. Parts of the duchy also had a border defense function -- the western parts towards Moravia and in the south-eastern Csanad-Cenad area -- and acted as a defensive margraviate for central Pannonia, extending from Nitra in the West to Bihar area in the Est and to the Cenad-Mures-Tisza area in the Southeast. The exact shape and borders of the ducal territories is still a subject of historical dispute.

1024px-Hungary_11th_cent.png
    The Duchy ca. 11th century is in dark blue.

Magnus became Duke together with his brothers Ladislaus (the future Saint Ladislaus) and Lampert after the death of Bela and the accession to the throne of Solomon with Holy Roman Empire help in 1063. He seems to have kept direct control over the western portions of the Duchy centered around Nitra, while the eastern portions were ceded to his brothers. In 1074 the three dukes expelled Solomon and Magnus became King of Hungary, taking the name Geza I. On his ducal coinage he is named Magnus, Duke in Pannonia, ruling thus under his baptismal name.

geza.jpg
    Magnus as Duke in Pannonia (1064-1074)
    AR18mm 0.88g silver denar, mint of Nitra.
    + D.VX MVGNΛS; small cross with wedges in quarters
    + P A N O N A I; crosslet with wedges in quarters
    Huszar 18

The coinage of the period, although feudal, was of good quality and used extensively in the Duchy and beyond. Considering that neither Ladislaus nor Lampert minted any coinage as dukes, the only mint operating in this period was likely Nitra, which seems to have only coined for Magnus. This specimen is heavy for the series and in almost uncirculated condition, making it rather rare.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    VD76, BenSi, TuckHard and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I was not even aware of this appanage... that's an impressive piece for the time period, especially considering it comes from a rather minor duchy. Perhaps indicative of the wealth in the area at that time.

My only early Hungarian coin is this denar of Stephen I (997-1038):
    stephen.jpg
    +STEPHANVS REX / +REGIA CIVITAS
    (I see their lettering had improved a bit by the time your coin was produced.)

VD76, BenSi, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Well, it's not such a minor duchy, it did comprise a third of the kingdom that was under Arpad rule in Pannonia-Banat-Dalmatia-etc. What is really interesting is the fact that it was a duchy with droit de monnaie in a rather centralised culture, where the king had a monopoly on coinage. Nitra did exert more autonomy than the rest of the duchy, which is very likely due to the West Slavic influence from the likes of Boleslav of Poland and the older tradition of Nitra as a Slavic principality from the 9th century and as a prominent part of Great Moravia.

Also, great Hungarian coin. Probably one of the first issues for Istvan around 1020 or so.

VD76 and Severus Alexander like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted