A FEL TEMP Sandstorm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

So.... I have gone FEL TEMP crazy again....

I have bought another 6 FEL TEMPS. I had pretty good reasons for 4 of them and the others were bought as "why not at that price" coins. All the coins have desert patina.

I will start with a pair of Rome mint Galleys.

Constans - AE2
    Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Laureate and rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:- FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, emperor in military dress standing left on galley, holding Phoenix and labarum, Victory sitting at the stern, steering the ship
    Minted in Rome; (/A | _ / RS). Second Group, First Series, without letters behind the bust. A.D. 348-350. This precedes the introduction of the letter behind the bust.

Reference:– RIC VIII Rome 114 var (Unlisted officina, listed for RQ, which is rated R)

5.60 gms. 24.11 mm. 180 degrees.

[​IMG]

Constantius II - AE2
    Obv:– D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, Laurel and rosette diadem, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, Emperor standing left on galley, holding phoenix on globe and labarum; Victory behind, steering galley
    Minted in Rome; (A| _//RS). Second Series (A behind busts). A.D. 348-350.

Reference:– RIC VIII Rome 149 (rated R)

4.41 gms. 23.53 mm. 180 degrees

[​IMG]

The third coin is a gap filler because I didn't have a galley from Cyzicus...

Constans - AE2
    Obv:- D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:- FEL TEMP-REPARATIO, emperor in military dress standing left on galley, holding Phoenix and labarum, Victory sitting at the stern, steering the ship
    Minted in Cyzicus; (_ | * // SMKS)
    Reference:– RIC VIII Cyzicus 68 corr (Rated R)

4.84 gms. 23.93 mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

The fourth coin is a Hut, which are harder to find for Constantius II than Constans and is a Mint gap filler for my Constantius II mint set (7 down, 4 to go).

Constantius II - AE2
    Obv:– CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding globe
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Soldier advancing right, head left, holding spear and leading small figure from hut beneath tree
    Minted in Thessalonica; (//TESE).
    Reference:– RIC VIII Thessalonica 117 (S)

2.75 gms. 21.51 mm. 180 degrees

[​IMG]

The last two are the also rans. An officina gap filler but for $10 thats fine.

[​IMG]

This one was so uglay that nobody else would give it a home. So many problems.... double struck, surface issues.... and UGLY but for $3 I gave it the home it deserves....

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The return of the happy times, a never outdated sentiment.

4. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

They look great and are a truly addictive type.

There are several people here who will Val prey to Fel Temps. Welcome to the club!

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice score! I managed to snag one from the lot. lol. The Alexandrian Gallus. Hopefully it'll arrive soon.

ominus1 likes this.
  6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Some real beauties there. Is the desert patina original? I've owned many coins in the past with similar patinas, especially from Antioch and Alexandria mints, but so far I've never owned one from Rome that looked like yours. Most of the patinas were legit, but on a couple of them, the patina rubbed off with just a simple wipe with a tissue.

If the Rome patinas are real, then those coins must have some interesting stories to tell!

ominus1 likes this.
  7. maridvnvm

The patina appears to be real. I have had a go at it with a couple of nylon brushes and probed with a pick.

rrdenarius and Okidoki like this.
  8. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

So the coins made it all the way from Rome to the Middle East. I'd love to know their story.

9. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Very nice, Martin! Quite the sandstorm, indeed. :)

10. maridvnvm

I have a coin of Septimius Severus that was minted in Laodicea ad mare in the eastern empire that was a field find in Carmarthen in west Wales the westernmost settlement of the empire.

rrdenarius and Caesar_Augustus like this.
  11. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Most Excellent series, and great eye appeal.

12. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

If only we could put tracking devices on coins and watch the data roll in. :)

13. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

great looks indeed

14. maridvnvm

And my sandstorm continues.

Constantius II - AE2

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO, Helmeted soldier left, shield on left arm, spearing falling horseman; shield at ground to right. Horseman turns to face the soldier, and reaches his left arm up towards him. He is bare headed and is bearded
    Minted in Cyzicus (Gamma | _ // SMKE)
    Reference:- RIC VIII Cyzicus 92 (C2)

Unusual shield decoration. Central boss surrounded by four small dots forming a square, additional dots at either end of the shield.

Weight 4.33g. 23.49mm. 30 degrees

[​IMG]

And a missing Antioch officina for me.

Constantius II - AE2

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Helmeted soldier to left, shield on left arm, spearing falling horseman; shield on ground at right. Horseman is bearded and falls forward reachine towards emperor (type FH3)
    Minted in Antioch (G | _ //AN Theta).
    Reference:- RIC VIII Antioch 132

Weight 5.12g. 25.32mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

15. maridvnvm

Another desert patina FEL TEMP arrived today but from a different source.

Constantius II - AE2/3

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Phoenix nimbate and radiate, standing right on globe,
    Minted in Antioch (_ | * //ANA). A.D. 348 - A.D. 350
    Reference:– RIC VIII Antioch 129 (S)

Weight 2.78g. 19.42mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice! Mine is still lost in the mail :/

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I have a couple "sand storm" fel temps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johndakerftw, Bing, randygeki and 2 others like this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It took a while, but I finally got my coin from the same lot.

IMG_4323.jpg

I also picked this up recently:

IMG_4308.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted