A feast set before a starving man

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LaCointessa, May 23, 2017.

1. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Okay, I don't want to get sappy...oh, yes I do!

I want to thank all you CT members, but especially those here in this ancients corner of CT for the kind correction, supportive, motivating words and generous sharing that you have shown me. It touches my heart in an exquisite way. You guys don't know me yet; so, how could you realize that your kindnesses, offers of help, reasons to giggle and communicate with others feel to me, (experiencing a state of emotional starvation), like the most sumptuous feast? I tell you, and G-d knows, that I have not experienced such warmth of spirit in years. I wanted to let you all know how you all have impacted me. I feel such appreciation and I thank each and every one of you. Thank you and may each of you be blessed.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

+1
    Edited to say; I just noticed that this was my 1000th post. I wish it was more substantial, but it is as sincere, and appreciative as OP stated. I am now planning for a giveaway to commemorate the milestone. Thanks to all.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

How about a collective AW SHUCKS.

Seriously, this is a great forum with darn good people, and God knows, this world needs people coming together like we do here.

5. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

As someone else who is somewhat new to this forum I share your feelings, it is a great place filled with wonderful people.

6. LaCointessa

Coool!

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

The CoinTalk Ancients forum is definitely one of a kind. We’re glad you’re here!
    I'm glad I'm here! :joyful:

Johndakerftw, Alegandron, TIF and 2 others like this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've had the great pleasure of becoming friends with many of the posters at CT, and I've even had the honor to meet a few in person. There is something about collectors of ancient coins. We tend to be bookworms, genteel and friendly, but also very studied and tenacious about our convictions.

9. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well @LaCointessa - that was very nice of you to say. I am speechless but when I can't think of anything to say I give is this Holy High Five.

Antioch, Syria
    Constantine I (c AD 337-340)
    AE Reduced Follis
    15 mm x 1.72 grams
    Obverse: DV CONSTANTINVS PT AVGG, Veiled bust of Constantine right
    Reverse: Emperor in quadriga right, hand of god reaches him from above, star above, SMANA in exergue.
    Ref: RIC 37
    [​IMG]

dlhill132, Jwt708, Smojo and 14 others like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

awwwwwwwwwww.jpg

11. LaCointessa

Oh my goodness @Ancientnoob! I was just reading about ancients with The Hand of G-d on them the night CT was down. You have one! That's crazy! Now, THAT's a coin I really want! I bet it's expensive - if it can be found, huh? (I did not get around to checking prices or availability). I guess I thought they were not available. Thank you for sharing that with me (us)!

12. Ancientnoob

SUB 50 bucks!

LaCointessa likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not expensive and fairly easy to find.

Smojo likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

This might be a good one to cruise e-bay for and ask us before you buy.

LaCointessa likes this.
  15. LaCointessa

Say whaaaaat? As the kids say: "That's "cray cray."

I want it
    I need it
    Gotta have it
    (Since they're small, I'll take two!)

16. LaCointessa

Yes!!
    That's the coin!
    I'll do that!

17. LaCointessa

This is the one with the clearest Hand of G-d depicted. There are others for less and even ones offered by sellers who seem (to me) suspiciously similar to the one who is said to have the finagled upped mark-downs. This one is going for 100 clams. The obverse isn't very good, is it? But that reverse is really sharp. I'll keep looking for a better one at a better price.

hand of G-d 3.jpg

Attached Files:

icerain, Johndakerftw and randygeki like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Personally, I would NOT cruise eBay for your first Ancients, unless you REALLY know the Sellers. There are some GREAT Sellers on eBay, but it is a MINEFIELD of fakes from other Sellers. Earlier posts have suggested other sites to go to for your first Ancients. Once you are more confident in buying, and you begin to identify reputable Sellers, THEN I would suggest eBay... I know a lot of the Moderns collectors love eBay, but for Ancients...just be careful.

19. LaCointessa

Okay. I didn't see a Hand of G-d I liked on eBay anyway, although there were more than a dozen of them listed.

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  20. Ancientnoob

I did kind of ruin it for you - the one I showed you is far better than most (not as good as some.)

It tends to be a reoccurring problem in ancient coins...you can find the coin you want but it might not have the attributes you so desire. Sometimes you have to make concessions, if you wait and you can have whatever your heart desires, and your bank account will allow. Be warned...sometimes what you want may not exist and you what you desire you may not know exists. Happens to be DAILY!

Also heed this warning collecting ancient coins is like having a horrible drug problem - except way more expensive and in MOST cases still legal.

Mikey Zee, TIF and LaCointessa like this.
  21. LaCointessa

I have been duly warned. I doubt I need an expensive habit. Perhaps all I need is one of those hand coins and then continue working on my world coins? I find that enjoyable although not as exciting as ancients. I will be thinking about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted