A favourite Republican

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nerva, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

IMG_0190.JPG IMG_0193.JPG This is one of the most visually appealing ancient coins and I've been after the 'right' one for a while. How to spend the coin budget is always a dilemma, and I'd always thought it would be worth spending serious money for a great example. But then a few weeks ago a dealer at a small low-end fair showed me his recent acquisitions and this jumped out at me. I hesitated over it for a long time. It's half-brilliant, sharp with beautiful toning. But it also has a big area of infuriating flatness that curses so many of these coins. I'm really glad I bought it. It was a good price, and I can get a couple of other good Republicans for the difference between what I paid for this and the cost of a perfect one. It's also characterful and appealing, and I get stunning detail for most of the design.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Weak strike or not, it's pretty. :)

alde and Nerva like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have no idea what it is or the meaning of it but I love it!

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A lovely example.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This really is a great type and like so many ancients, most collectors have to decide which shortcomings they can live with. Yours has exceptional fabric and areas of very nice strike. The centering is also very good.

Mine lacks in the fabric department, being porous, but in its favor the centering and strike are atypically good. My main wish was for one with a relatively well-defined reverse scene and this one fit the bill :)

[​IMG]
    Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome, L. Plautius Plancus
    47 BCE
    AR Denarius, 3.79 gm
    Obv: L. PLAVTIVS; facing mask of Medusa, serpents at either side of face; banker's mark on cheek
    Rev: PLANCVS; Aurora (or Victory?) flying right and conducting the four horses of the sun. Banker's mark in left field.
    Ref: Plautia 15b Sear 429, Cr453/1b; Syd 959a.
    formerly slabbed by NGC

7. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Crawford says that it might be based on a picture by Nichomacus owned by the moneyer. It's a Head of Medusa obverse with Victory holding a palm branch and leading four horses on the reverse, 47BC.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  8. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Yours has nicely dramatic toning on the obverse, too. And the banker's mark adds character in my view. Kudos for releasing that lovely specimen from its slab ;-)

TIF likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

I got it at a coin show ~3 years ago. The dealer, now retired, had been jumping on the slab bandwagon in his later years. I had browsed his table several times without finding something I wanted at a price I liked. I went by one last time and he had just received a box of freshly slabbed coins back from NGC. He cut open the tape and started removing the coins. I saw this one and immediately wanted it and asked the price. I don't think he was mentally prepared to quote the price because it was lower than I'd expected. I bought it immediately and removed it from the slab almost as quickly. It may set the record for Least Time In A Slab :D.

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

As TIF has already said, your coin looks like it has excellent metal, and where it's not flat it's truly fantastic. Nice buy!

The style of your Medusa is very similar to mine.

IMG_8510.JPG

11. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Excellent work. I don't even look at slabbed coins. It's not a point of principle, but it helps narrow the range of things to look at, and I figure at least some people will pay a premium for the slab, so why compete with them?

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

At the risk of creating another competitor, I've found some bargains with slabbed coins labelled less than AU. Companies that cater to the ancient coin "tourists", Grade Is King collectors, and recent converts from modern collecting seem to get high prices for slabs bearing AU or MS labels-- often comparatively crazy prices as I'm sure you've seen. The mere VG, VF, and EF coins often don't bring such stupid-high prices even when the types are extremely desirable and/or more rare.

13. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

That's a good point. And there's the pleasure of 'un-slabbing' ;-)

TIF likes this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That coin has a lot of eye-appeal! I can see why you bought it!

Nerva likes this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are always sweet, still need one myself.

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto

17. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coin. These are hard to find with no issues. Your coin is well centered and most of the devices are well struck. Medusa on mine is a bit of a flat head.
    Plautia medusa.jpg Plautia 4 horses.jpg
    I like that most of the reverse on mine is well struck - you can see all four horse heads and both . Medusa is not why I bought the coin, but is shown pretty well.

Alegandron, Ajax, Volodya and 10 others like this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a stunning type, and it possesses so much character and beauty that even some "infuriating flatness" can't hold it down. I would have bought the OP coin any day of the week!

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Same here, wonderful metal, style and toning, I don't even notice the flatness

Q

20. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

My example, with snakes; ex Bement Collection, Naville VIII, 1924:

Phil (104).JPG

21. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

This issue almost never has a good strike. TIF's is one of the few I have seen with a good strike.

Mine has no reverse at all!
    105567LG.jpg
    L. Plautius Plancus. 47 B.C. AR denarius (18 mm, 3.62 g). Brockage strike. Rome.
    Obv: L · PLAV[TIV]S below, head of Medusa facing
    Rev: Incuse of obverse.
    Crawford 453/1c; Sydenham 959b; Plautia 14.
    Classical Numismatic Group, e-auction 59, February 2003, lot 131.
    For another example of the die, see CGB.fr, MONNAIES 21, June 2004, lot 2221

Draft saved Draft deleted