A fake coin in a genuine PCGS holder?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Price just went up !!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Yup. Scary stuff. However, I believe the hyper-fakes getting by the TPGs are die-transfers.

I am almost certain that these seated halves, along with their entire generation of Chinese counterfeits, were created from dies made with CAD models. The date fonts are spot-on.

DDEABA8F-BBB2-456D-8340-6EE1C1148A63.jpeg 70D330AE-75F0-4607-88C0-7FDA7F4DEF25.jpeg FD630D94-1CB0-4159-8FEE-711080D867E7.jpeg 011B3ED7-2741-4F0C-B257-CFFC8CF8684A.jpeg 09F43A3D-E96E-47A2-83DB-F8270ED24B44.jpeg 549D6AA7-DA1D-4C62-852D-A822531C460C.jpeg

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

But the head is too small and looks goofy. And the stars are way off. Plus look at those arrows. Silly looking.

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

For those reasons, they aren’t die transfers. I believe that the design was 3D-scanned, then the features were “enhanced” (stars, hair, etc.), then the dates were mapped from genuine coins, and then the (master) dies were CNC-carved and hardened. The loss of style resulted from the scanning and post-scan modifications. I call this generation the “enhanced” counterfeits as they are made to look sharper than the real coins!

6. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

But they are only going to get better - eventually to the point where the design aspects of a counterfeit coin will be virtually indistinguishable from a real coin. One will have to resort to authentication by examining the physical aspects of the die itself. Looking to die cracks, gouges, scratches and other unique die characteristics and making a determination based on what is and is not there.

7. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Jack, are you saying your 1872-S half dollar is a counterfeit?

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That was my impression as well. And the grading company missed it.

10. Jack D. Young

Yes, one of the latest struck fakes; it is included on the list I posted earlier on this post.

11. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

Geez! What next? This hobby is getting more and more complicated.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

13. John Frost

John Frost New Member

Hi, John Frost here, Education Director for the Liberty Seated Collectors Club. Actually the LSCC confirmed this particular issue (1872-S Seated half) as a fake in December 2016, after it was brought to our attention by one of our members (that coin was PCGS AU55). Subsequently, Jack Young discovered the AU53 PCGS piece from the Summer FUN 2016 auction that didn't match any known 1872-S and sent me an email with a link to the auction result -- I confirmed it was a match to our counterfeit - same diagnostics. The LSCC published a special bulletin in January 2017 announcing the counterfeit (http://www.lsccweb.org/144-Supplement-Jan2017-BOLO-1872S-counterfeit.pdf). Both the PCGS AU55 piece (our specimen) and the AU53 (Summer FUN specimen - Heritage recalled it) were brought to FUN 2017 and shown to the grading services, auction houses, and dealers on the show floor to bring it to their attention). So, all four "major" TPG services are aware of this counterfeit. The PCGS AU53 example was removed from the holder. The AU55 is still in the holder, but is no longer in the PCGS database of certified coins.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That particular piece may not be reported to PCGS but the fake has been known for what a year and a half or so. The obv was copied from a known 1872 Philadelphia die, and the reverse was copied from a known 1875 S die.

15. Jack D. Young

This particular piece was reported to PCGS and they were involved in removing it from their holder- I have the images (from an auction house where it sold last) and a copy of the cert. The "coin" is now in an ANACS genuine/ cleaned holder.
    My point was there are much more deceptive pieces out there than some of the common ones seen and they are deceiving TPGs, collectors and dealers alike.
    I have not seen the 1864-S HD from this post in the group of known bad yet.

And as another point of reference the edge reeding is from 1876!

https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/c...-1872-s-half-dollar-1-page-attribution-guide/

16. Jack D. Young

John Frost helped an early copper guy make sense of this one!

As a result I joined LSCC and actually had a brief article about this one published in the Journal.

17. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

I bought these in Guangzhou, in China:
    IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1016.JPG At this shop:
    IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0689.JPG

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  18. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

That's truly depressing.

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I agree.

20. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

They were about $6 each. I have no doubt they would have been cheaper if I spoke Cantonese.

21. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

These are all over eBay as it is. Sellers advertising fakes as "mementos" or saying " Real coin. No worry about this."

P.T. Barnum said " There's a sucker born every minute. ".

Hookman Brown says " There's a scammer born every second. ".

Draft saved Draft deleted