A fake coin in a genuine PCGS holder?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 8 looks wonky.
    Both the top and bottom half don't conform to the other genuine examples.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Gee Mike why didn't I think of That? Good show I'm still in the same position the coin in question is no doupt in question...I personally would not purchase it.

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think I also see differences in the fingers of Miss Liberty's left hand.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

DB900E4A-C6AB-41EE-9FA5-E0ADF16A383A.jpeg 5808FF4C-49C6-4893-A553-0122C82BC4FA.jpeg

Hi:)
    Hope you don’t mind I brighten up your photos. To examine better.

6. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Not that I am saying the coin is authentic - mind you. There is just nothing here - based on the images that provides me with any level of confidence that indicates the coin is counterfeit. The poor quality images prevent it. Others here have a better eye than I.

1964 S Half Dime Map.JPG 1964 S Half Dime Obverse Overlay.JPG 1964 S Half Dime Reverse Overlay.JPG

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Here is an image of my specimen 1864 S h-10 20190704_055102.jpg 20190704_055308.jpg
    These are not something you find at every show ,on any show for that matters, with the mintage at 90,000.
    They are pricy in all conditions, and would venture to say that finding one by going to a years worth of shows could be fruitless.
    The next show you go to just look for half dimes in general, then if the dealers do have some notice the limited amount and the dates available.....the odds of finding something in the mid 1860s slim to none....the 1840's slim to none!
    And for the most part even damaged coins sometimes bring a high premum due to the fact the mintages are so low.
    Notice the dates on the op coin the 1 looks to be off of level as compared to the 864.
    Look at mine the date looks level all numbers on the same plane.
    If in fact only 1 die marriage is known for the 1864 S then there shouldn't be any difference in the numbers. Unless there are more than 1 die marriage. That would explaine the date digits placement.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  8. Paddy54

20190704_082200.jpg

In 1864 there were 470 proof strikes which makes for another die pair ,that perhasp were used to strike mint state coins. As any die can have a mint mark added.

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I know what you mean about half dimes. I’m always looking for the less common dates when I’m at shows. They’re not a fast seller but they have a dddicated following and always sell. There’s a couple dealers up here that frequently turn up some nice examples which I’m happy to buy. Just like the little auction that had a 63 and 64. I bought both and sold them right away. Worn. One was f 12 one was vf 20 but such tough coins.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They would not have added an S mint mark to a used proof die. Your not going to punch a mintmark into an already hardened die.

Since it is starting to appear that the counterfeiters are now making their fake dies by laser computer scanning genuine coins, overlays will probably be of less and less use.

11. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Still struggling with the date as well...

Asked my friends at the Liberty Seated Collectors Club about varieties- waiting to hear back.

1864-s-2dates.jpg

12. Paddy54

Well I agree but....if you do an e bay search for a 64 S you will see the date in question on other specimens for sale.
    I noted to my self lower 1 /864 as to variety.as the 1 is not in line.

Note the differences in the" 1 flags"......one is at a 45 the other has a tapered end.

13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Why? Because common dates are affordable, and the series is very popular.

14. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

From my perspective a 2nd die marriage consisting of a obverse die with the date punched virtually identical on the obverse paired with a reverse die with the mint mark punched virtually identical on the reverse to an existing die pair - would be highly unusual.

I agree there appears to be some deviation on the date. Mainly the "1". I just can't make a determination if these subtle differences are attributable to the coin or the quality of the image.

1964 S Half Dime Latitude.JPG 1964 S Half Dime Longitude.JPG

Jack D. Young likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Then a repunched 1 using different punches styles. Under the coin in question main shaft of the 1 under the base or foot theres a artifact of sorts.
    Plus the two differ on the flags styles on the 1's.

16. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

When I visit Asia, Singapore, Malaysia almost every household has a coffee can filled with fake dollar sized coins they have received through the years in business transactions. Most are more aware now of the fakes but early on many were taken advantage of.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Seriously? You mean those iron-core 1804 dollars, 1817 trade dollars, and 1907 ASEs are circulating?

18. Jack D. Young

According to Al Blythe and his The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dimes there is one Variety but an early die state:

1864-S_V1.jpg

19. Paddy54

That's interesting as I have no listing in any of my half dime references for a RPD 1864 S now I need to drag out Breen and Valentine :cigar:

Jack D. Young likes this.
  20. Jack D. Young

Seller took additional images per my request:
    1864-s-o-2.jpg

1864-s-r.jpg

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  21. Paddy54

It is the RPD wow different image shows it quite plain.

buckeye73 and Jack D. Young like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted