A fake coin in a genuine PCGS holder?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Jun 28, 2019.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's why you buy this 'junk' from the US Mint. Durante in drag..........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

While the following certainly does not authenticate the OP's coin as real - it also doesn't provide any indication the OP's coin is counterfeit.

1864SHalf Dime_1 Map.JPG 1864SHalf Dime_2 Map Overlay PCGS.JPG 1864SHalf Dime_3 Map Overlay OP.JPG

Mainebill and Jack D. Young like this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So you are complaining that the counterfeiters aren't being greedy enough?

Cost a dollar apiece or so to make. What are proof silver eagles selling for? $40? $50? If so they could probably sell at least a 3 or 4 thousand to unsuspecting newbies are a bargain price of say $30 each and ONLY make $90 to $120K, and you don't think that is good enough to make going to all that trouble worthwhile.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Guess my mind doesn’t function like theirs does, thankfully.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I'll wager they might have spent more to get the empty mint boxes and COAs than they did on making the counterfeits. The fake coin was growing spots and going bad as I looked at it over the few days I borrowed it for photographing. The thing was really made of ticky-tacky and little else.

-jeffB likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Mine does, but I have this terrible character flaw.....I'm honest.

8. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

They have counterfeited a large number of denominations and varieties, some rare, many common; below is my list. Note all of these had examples in genuine TPG holders:

list.jpg

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Jack D. Young likes this.
  10. Jack D. Young

I put together a comparison image of three sold PCGS examples of the same grade and this one for reference:
    obvs.jpg

11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

The 4 has less definition than the others to my eyes.

12. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

So I imagine there might be a Chinese counterfeit collector site?

13. justafarmer

Again nothing to indicate counterfeit
    1864 S Half Dime Obverse Map.JPG 1864 S Half Dime Obverse Map Overlaid.JPG

14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I think there may be some debris in the upper part of the triangle on the 4. Factoring that out, the rest of the 4 looks reasonably consistent with the others IMO. Can't say the same for the 6.

Jack D. Young and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  15. Jack D. Young

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The date does look a little thin in comparison to the others and her arm slightly fat. Could just be from die wear though. I’d love to see in hand as it’s a tough call. If it’s a fake it’s a really good one

17. justafarmer

The resolution for the image of the subject coin is not very high. So I can't say with any level of confidence as to whether the date matches or not. Really need an image with better lighting, contrast and focus.

18. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The date just throws me . . . were it not for that, I'd not likely have questioned the coin.

Paddy54 and Jack D. Young like this.
  19. Jack D. Young

My friend at the TPG would like to see it in hand- his comment "My first impression is that it is OK, but rather cleaned, and perhaps, somewhat distorted. In hand examination could verify. Thanks for calling our attention to this situation".

20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The match up on the top left coin...the one in question does not match up.I agree with Mike that the date was the first thing my eyes went to ......and didn't like what I was seeing....it looks off.
    There's no record of the number of obv. And rev. Dies used to produce the 1864 S h-10.
    I would estimate that the number of die pairs would be very low.....with the mintage 90,000.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    ToughCOINS and Jack D. Young like this.
  21. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I did check the Steven Crain Collection, and there is only a single example of the 1864-S Half Dime in it, implying that there is indeed just the single die marriage.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted