A Drachm by any other name....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Inspired by the Denarii thread, let's see one for history's second longest-lived coin denomination, the Drachm!

Drachms (from the Greek Drassomai, "To Grasp") were initially a 3-5g coin worth six obols, the number of bronze cooking spits the average man could hold in a closed fist. First introduced around 500 BC, they gained prominence with the rise of Athens, and became standardized at the Attic standard of 4.2 grams. Thanks to the dominance of the Seleucid Empire, the Drachm became the primary currency of the Parthians, and thereafter the Sassanians, Huns, early Muslims, and various Indian kingdoms. The last unambiguous minting of a Drachm was in about 14th century India, although it is a matter of scholarly debate whether the later Bull & Horseman coins would count, as the earliest Spalapati Deva types weigh as much as an Attic drachm.

So, let's see your drachms, whether Greek, Roman provincial, Celtic, Eastern, or Indian!

I'll get us started with a nice Alexander the Great, minted by Antigonus I Monophthalmus
    Alexander III drachm Price 1980 Antigonus I.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

thought someone was going to start up a sestertius thread but this makes good sense to keep it in the AR genre. @Finn235 - your drachm has some nice relief to it! coinboughtALEXdemeter.jpg
    AR Drachm 323 B v. Chr.
    Calidad: vf | Abréviation
    Catálogo: Müller 398 | Price 1356 | SNG.Copenhagen 881
    Alexander III the Great, 336 &ndash 323 B.C.
    weight 4,04gr. | silver Ø 17mm.
    A lifetime issue of Alexander the Great.
    obv. Head of young Herakles clad in a lion skin
    rev. Zeus enthroned left, holding eagle and scepter, Demeter facing with two
    torches on left side, monogram below seat, A&LambdaE&XiAN&DeltaPOY on the right side
    Müller 398 | Price 1356 | SNG.Copenhagen 881
    Vf
    The Demeter in the left field balances the images of male power nicely. The monogram under the throne is
    Delta Omiricon
    which is an international music fraternity that Alex the great must have started back when? Who knew?

http://www.delta-omicron.org/home

4. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Just two to get started ...

Kyrene Zeus Silphium Obv Rev.jpg
    Cyrene, Zeus Ammon (Iota Alpha Delta in field) / Silphium (KY in field). 480-435 BCE. SNG Copenhagen 1177. ex NFA. 3.34 grams Attic standard.

Chalkis Euboia Obv Rev.jpg
    Chalkis Euboia. Hera / Eagle killing Snake with Trophy to right. 291-271 BCE. BMC 50 plate xx.11 ex. Kern. 3.6 grams.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Alexander The Great, Macedonian Kingdom, (336 - 323 B.C.)
    AR Drachm
    Posthumous
    O: Herakles' head right, clad in Nemean lion scalp headdress tied at neck.
    R: ΑΛΕΞΑΝ∆ΡΟΥ, Zeus seated left, right leg drawn back, eagle in right, long vertical scepter in left, X within Ω left, KH under throne.
    Mylasa mint 310-300 B.C.
    4.1g
    16mm
    Price 2480

[​IMG]
    Tiberius & Drusus ( 14 - 37 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea-Eusebia
    O: [TI C]AES AVG PM TRP XXXV, Laureate head of Tiberius right.
    R: DRVSVS CAES TI] AVG F COS II R P, Head of Drusus left.
    Caesarea in Cappadocia mint 33- 34 A.D.
    3.47g
    19mm
    RIC I 87; RPC I 3622. Syd 46

[​IMG]
    Apollonia, Illyria, Greece, (200 - 80 B.C.)
    AR Drachm
    O: APIΣTΩN (moneyer), cow left, head turned, suckling calf right.
    R: double stellate pattern within double linear square with sides curved inward.
    3.2g
    17.5mm

[​IMG]
    MOESIA. Kallatis 3rd - 2nd Centuries B.C.
    AR Drachm
    O: Head of Herakles r., wearing lion skin head-dress.
    R: KAΛΛATIA. Stalk of grain and club above; bow in case with quiver below.
    4.62 grams.
    20 mm
    SNG Cop. 176. SNG BM 202.

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

nero ric 621 copy.jpg

Nero and Divo Claudius, AD 54-69.
    AR drachm, 19mm, 3.5g, 6h; Caesarea Cappadocia mint.
    Obv.: NERO CLAVD DIVI CLAVD F CAESAR AVG GERM; Laureate head of Nero.
    Rev.: DIVOS CLAVD AVGVST GERMANIC PATER AVG; Laureate head of Claudius right.
    Reference: RIC 621From the Mat Collection.

7. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

I've unloaded most of my Parthian drachms over the past couple of years, but I've held on to some that are special to me, like the front-facing Phraates III I posted in Parthicus' thread a few days ago. Below are some of those that remain with me for the time being. The third down is an ex-David Sellwood Collection, which definitely qualifies it as a keeper in my book.

By the way, since this is a denomination-specific thread, here's a terrific site, with definitions of ancients-denominations. I've kept it bookmarked for some time:
    http://www.ancientcoingallery.net/denominations

drachm collage.jpg

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Forgot about mine.

Have many Sasanians, but will stick with these.

[​IMG]
    Orodes II (57 - 38 B.C.)
    AR Drachm
    O: Diademed and draped bust left, wearing medium beard.
    R: Archer (Arsakes I) seated right on throne, holding bow; monogram below bow.
    Susa Mint
    3.5g
    20mm
    Sellwood 45.20

[​IMG]
    Vologases I (51 - 78 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    O: Diademed bust left.
    R: Archer (Arsakes I) seated right on throne, holding bow; monogram below bow.
    Ekbatana mint
    3.71g
    21mm
    Sellwood 70.13

[​IMG]
    HUNNIC TRIBES, Western Turks, Shahi Tegin (Sri Shahi) (After 679 A.D.)
    Billion Drachm
    O: Crowned bust right.
    R: Fire altar flanked by attendants.
    Uncertain mint in Bactria
    28mm
    3.2g
    Vondrovec [Göbl, Hunnen] Type 236.

9. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

That link is exactly what I’ve been looking for. You rock.

Awesome coins all around. Unfortunately I don’t have any Drachms to show yet. Maybe after the NYINC show.

Happy New Year!

kaparthy likes this.
  10. Finn235

A selection of my favorite Indian drachms. The Indo-Greek kingdom flourished during the 2nd-1st century BC, and produced a large number of silver drachms minted to a ~2g weight standard that persisted until the post-Gupta era, or about 800 AD at the latest.

Menander I
    Menander drachm.jpg

Amoghabhuti (Kuninda kingdom)
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-HZxPTOWaJp.jpg

Satavahanas, Yajna Satakarni
    Yajna satakarni drachm.jpg

Western Kshatrapas, Rudrasena III
    Western satraps rudrasena iii.jpg
    Gupta empire, Kumaragupta
    Gupta3.jpg

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Neo Claudius drachm.jpg

Nero with Divus Claudius

NERO CLAVD DIVI CLAVD F CAESAR AVG GERMA
    Laureate head of Nero right

DIVOS CLAVD AVGVST GERMANIC PATER AVG
    Laureate head of Divus Claudius right.

Caesarea, Cappadocia

63-64 AD

2.95g

RPC I 3648; RIC 622.

From the collection of K.M. Germany. Ex-Roma E-sale 43 lot 334

Nicely centered drachm with double portraits of Claudius and Nero and full Latin legends.

12. museumguy

museumguy Member

thumb_Mithradates_II~3.jpg thumb_Mithradates_II~1.jpg thumb_Mithradates_II_(5).jpg thumb_Mithradates_II~0.jpg thumb_Mithradates_II_FORVM_copy.jpg thumb_Mithradates_II_(2).jpg Here are some of my favorite Parthian Mithradates II drachms (123-88 BCE). His beard and schnoz (nose) are always eye-catchers.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Let us not forget the large AE drachms of Alexandria. This is Caracalla and the most scarce of my drachms. Zeus LKB
    pa1500fd3427.jpg

14. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Here's my Alexandria drachm of Antoninus Pius:

[​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius Provincial Bronze Drachm Sphinx (Alexandria)
    Bronze, 33 mm, 19.60 gm, Catalog: Milne 2249
    Struck: AD 153-154 Alexandria Egypt
    Obverse: Laureate head left
    AYT K T AIΛ AΔP ANTWNINOC CEB EYC (Augustus Caesar Antoninus Augustus Pius)
    Reverse: Sphinx seated right, wings raised, left forepaw on wheel, modius on head
    L to left, I top center, Z right (Regnal Year 17 - L=Year I=10 Z=7)

:)

15. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Antoninus Pius; Alexandria Harbor Scene. Alexandria, Egypt; dated 154/155 AD (year 18). Æ drachm (32 MM). Obv: Bust of Antoninus Pius, l. Rev: Isis Euploia standing facing, head left, three grain ears upward in right hand, reversed rudder in left; to her l., prow of galley with billowing sail, r., behind her, another similar galley to l. (neither visible in Emmett specimen); Euthenia reclining r. to her l and river-god Nilus holding rudder, reclining left on the right at her feet. Date “L – IH” across upper fields.

Reverse like Emmett 1589; Milne 2290 variant; BMC 1173 variant; Dattari 2899, but obverse bust left. Traces of drapery on obverse bust, so Dattari-Savio 8776. Probably from the same obverse die. As such, the second known variety.
    AntPiusAlexHarbor2.jpg

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..2 AR's and an Ae Alexander coins 002.JPG Alexander coins 003.JPG

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Drachms say you, this just gives me an excuse to show off this again.
    0_A-Pi-Drachm-Roma-Gemini40-SS2018-Smojo-RT.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    Regnal year 9, 145/6 CE
    AE drachm
    Obv: laureate bust right
    Rev: Roma seated left on cuirass, shield behind, holding Nike and parazonium; LENA TOV around.
    Ref: Dattari 2794; Emmett 1644.9
    Ex TIF Collection
    Ex Robert L. Grover Collection of Roman Egyptian Coinage, previously held by the Art Institute of Chicago

18. Finn235

A nice & hefty AE Drachm of Ptolemy IV. At 43mm and nearly 70g it's the largest coin I own, except for a Franklin Mint $5 for Panama.

Ptolemy IV AE drachm.jpg

Scale shot with a different coin of the same type that I sold a few months back
    2018-05-23 13.41.10.jpg

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ROMAN - PRE-DENARII REFORM

upload_2019-1-1_9-38-4.png
    RR Anon Ca 240 BCE AR Heavy Quinarius Drachm 16mm 3.0g Rome Helmet Hd Mars r - Horse’s hd sickle Cr 25-2 Syd 25 RSC 34a Rare

upload_2019-1-1_9-38-51.png
    RR Anon AR Heavy Quinarius Quadrigatus Drachm 216-214 BCE Janus ROMA Jupiter Victory Quadriga LEFT Craw 29-4 Sear 35

ROMAN EMPIRE

RI Trajan CE 98-117 AR drachm Struck CE 114-116 Arabia Petraea Bostra - Camel SNG ANS 1158.JPG
    RI Trajan CE 98-117 AR drachm Struck CE 114-116 Arabia Petraea Bostra - Camel SNG ANS 1158

BAKTRIA

Baktria Apollodotos I 180-160 BCE Square AR Drachm 20mm 2.4g Elephant Zebu SNG ANS 324-327.JPG
    Baktria Apollodotos I 180-160 BCE Square AR Drachm 20mm 2.4g Elephant Zebu SNG ANS 324-327

INDO-GREEK KINGDOM

upload_2019-1-1_9-42-26.png
    INDO-GREEK KINGDOM Zoilos II Circa 50-40 BCE AR drachm 17mm 2.3g Athena Alkidemos l monograms Antony Actium SNG ANS 1654-1658

TARENTUM

upload_2019-1-1_9-45-4.png
    Calabria Tarentum AR Drachm 18mm 3.1g 3rd C BCE Athena Corinthian Scylla OWL olive TAP ZOP HN Italy 975 Vlasto 1052

IONIA
    upload_2019-1-1_9-47-14.png
    Ionia Klazomenai 480-400 BC AR Drachm 3.5g 13mm Forepart winged boar r gorgoneion incuse sq Cf SNG Copenhagen 12 Rare

SASANIAN

upload_2019-1-1_9-48-44.png
    Persia Sasanian Ardashir III 628-629 CE AR Drachm 36mm 3.85g Zoroastrian Fire Alter Gobl II-1 yr 2 Delta RARE

PARTHIA

upload_2019-1-1_9-50-2.png
    Parthia Mithradates III 58-55 BCE AR Drachm 3.9g 20mm Rhagae mint star archer bashlyk throne bow Selwood 41-12

INDIA

upload_2019-1-1_9-53-14.png
    India Gujarat Chalukyas Gadhaiya Paisa BI Drachm 4.6g 14mm 9th C CE Sun Moon Fire Alter Crescent

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

MAKEDON

upload_2019-1-1_9-57-31.png
    Makedon Antigonos I Monopthalmus 319-305 BC AR Drachm Magnesia and Maeandrum Mint 3-9g 16-5mm Herakles lion-Zeus

EGYPT - PTOLEMIES

Egypt Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE 37mm 42g Drachm Zeus-Ammon Eagle Tbolt SV 974.jpg
    Egypt Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE 37mm 42g Drachm Zeus-Ammon Eagle Tbolt SV 974

KELTIC IMITATIVE

upload_2019-1-1_10-1-15.png
    Celt Imit Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Zeus Horse pellet-in-annulet above Kugelwangel type- Danube Valley - Kostial 508 OTA 204

SOGDIANA

upload_2019-1-1_10-2-28.png
    Sogdiana - Hyrcodes 3rd-4thCE AR Scyphate Reduced Drachm 12mm 0.56g Bukhara mint Male-Deity BMC Baktria p118

INDO-SCYTHIA

India Indo-Scythian King Azes I 57-30BCE AR Drachm.JPG
    India Indo-Scythian King Azes I 57-30BCE AR Drachm

21. Finn235

I don't really consider myself an active collector, but I have dabbled in Eastern/Persian drachms, which are usually quite affordable, thanks to outnumbering fractionals and tetradrachms considerably!

Parthian

Mithradates II
    Parthia Mithradates II drachm.jpg
    Vonones
    Vonones drachm.jpg
    Vologases VI, the last Parthian king
    Vologases vi drachm.jpg

Sassanian

Ardashir I
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-gVpC3JEAL2QpICdz.jpg
    Shapur I (One of my favorite ancients from an artistic standpoint)
    Shapur i drachm.jpg
    Bahram II
    Bahram II drachm.jpg
    Peroz I
    Peroz drachm ST Persepolis.jpg
    Jamasp/Zamasp
    Sassanian jamasp zamasp drachm.jpg
    Yazdegerd III, the last Sassanian Shah
    Sassanian Yazgard III drachm.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted