A Dozen Nice Coins From 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I had a really good year for collecting in 2017, despite having medical issues all year that prevented me from working full time. This may have given me more time to search for tasty morsels, which unfortunately attracted a few roaches.

Here are a dozen nice coins from 2017 in a rough order:

Maroneia Tet 1a.jpg
    Thrace, Maroneia
    AR Stater, 385-360 BC, 12.81g
    Obverse: Horse prancing left with loose rein.
    Reverse: Linear square with vine and bunches of grapes, astragalus before M in reverse legend.
    Schönert-Geiss 165, S-1631
    Ex. Kerry Wetterstrom, purchased from CNG in 1990s

tarentum stater 4a.jpg
    Calabria, Tarentum
    AR Nomos, 315-302 BC, 20.5mm, 8.00gm
    Obverse : Warrior, preparing to cast spear, holding two others and shield, on horse rearing.
    Reverse : Phalanthos, holding kantharos and trident, astride dolphin left; AP monogram to left; small dolphin below.
    References : Fischer-Bossert Group 70, 846 (V336/R657); Vlasto 601 (same obv. die); HN Italy 937; Gulbenkian 35 (same dies); Jameson 156 (same dies)
    EF, toned, excellent metal, exceptional style obverse from fresh dies.
    Ex JMG Collection (CNG 94, 18 September 2013), lot 15
    From the x6 Collection
    "Gaius Julius Phaedrus"

Pharsalos Drachm 1a.jpg
    Thessaly, Pharsalos, AR Drachm, Superb classical style, both dies signed by the master engraver Telephantos, 5.794g, 19.0mm, 195o, Pharsalos (Farsala, Greece) mint, late 5th-mid 4th century B.C.
    Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet with raised cheek-piece, small TH behind neck.
    Reverse: Φ-A-R-S (clockwise from lower right), Thessalian cavalryman on horse prancing right, wearing petasos, chlamys, and chiton, lagobolon over right shoulder in right hand, reins in left hand; TELEFANTO small, retrograde, and low relief in exergue.
    References: Lavva 105 (V51/R58); BCD Thessaly II 640 (same rev. die); BMC Thessaly p. 43, 6 & pl. IX, 9 (same); HGC 4 624; BCD Thessaly I -.
    The tiny letters on the obverse left and reverse exergue are the initials and signature of Telephantos.
    Ex Forum

Kyme Tet 1a.jpg
    Aeolis, Kyme
    AR Tetradrachm, 165-140 BC, 16.394g, 32.8mm, 0h
    Obverse: Head of Kyme right, wearing taenia.
    Reverse: Horse walking right, oinochoe below raised left foreleg, KYMAIΩN downward on right, KAΛΛIAΣ (magistrate) in exergue, all in laurel wreath tied at the bottom.
    References: SNGva 1635, SNG Cop 103, BMC Troas p. 111, 73; Weber 5502
    Ex Pegasi, Ex Forum 2017

Himera Hemilitron 2a.jpg
    Himera, Sicily. AE Hemilitron, 420-407BC, 18mm, 5.35g.
    Obverse: Pan riding goat right, holding thyrsus over left shoulder and blowing on a conch shell; below goat, a Corinthian helmet.
    Reverse: HIMEPAION, Nike advancing left, holding open wreath in right hand, dress in left; six pellets (mark of value).
    SNG ANS 184, Cal p.42, 27
    There is a chance this is a forgery.

Neapolis Didrachm 2a.jpg
    Campania, Neapolis
    AR Nomos, 300-275 BC, 19mm, 7.35 g, 7 h.
    Obverse: Diademed head of nymph left; behind, ladle.
    Reverse: [N]EOΠOΛITΩN, man-headed bull walking right, head facing; above, Nike flying right, crowning bull with wreath; below, BI.
    References: SNG BN 822; SNG ANS 393; HN Italy 579.
    Fine style, thin die-break on obverse.

Bactria Eucradides I Tet 1Ma.jpg
    Kingdom of Batria, Eucratides I ‘the Great’, 170-145 BC
    AR Tetradrachm, 16.91g, 34mm
    Obverse: Diademed and draped bust of Eucratides right wearing broad-brimmed Bactrian helmet, ad and reel border.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ MEΓAΛOY EYKPATIΔOY, the Dioscuri on rearing horses to right, each holding a palm, monogram beneath horses to right.
    References: Bopearachchi Série 6E variant (monogram on right).
    Ex. 1980s collection, Ex James Beach

Elis Stater 7a.jpg
    ELIS, Olympia.
    AR Stater, 348 BC, 108th Olympiad, 24.5mm, 11.12 g, 4h. Hera mint.
    Obverse: Head of Hera right, wearing stephanos.
    Reverse: Eagle standing right within wreath.
    References: Seltman, Temple 323 (dies EZ/θω); BCD Olympia –; HGC 5, 379.
    Rare

Punic Tet 5a.jpg
    Sicily, Panormos
    AR Tetradrachm, 340-320 BC, 25mm, 17g.
    Obverse: Quadriga to right, Nike flying to left, crowning to the driver of the chariot.
    Reverse: Feminine head with crown of corn ears, wearing three drop earrings, pearl necklace, around three dolphins.
    References: SE-893 Variation.

Phaselis Stater 1b.jpg
    LYCIA, Phaselis.
    AR Stater, 4th century BC, 21mm, 10.40 g, 10h.
    Obverse: Prow of galley right, fighting platform decorated with facing gorgoneion; to right, cicada upward.
    Reverse: Stern of galley left, with wreath hanging from pole mounted on the deck.
    References: Heipp-Tamer Series 6, unlisted variety; Triton XIX, lot 256 (same obv. die); CNG 100, lot 1521 (same obv. die); CNG 99, lot 280 var. (cicada downward).
    Minor die rust on obverse.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Marcus Aurelius Sest 1Oa.jpg
    Marcus Aurelius. AD 161-180. Æ Sestertius (33mm, 29.10 g, 12h). Rome mint. Struck AD 161.
    Obverse: Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Reverse: Concordia seated left, holding patera, left elbow resting on small statue of Spes; cornucopia under seat.
    References: RIC III 794 var. (bust also draped); BMCRE 840 var. (same); Banti 19.
    Ex Herakles

First Meris Tet 1a.jpg
    Macedon (Roman Protectorate)
    Republican Period, First Meris. AR Tetradrachm, 30mm, 16.8g, 12h
    Amphipolis Mint, 167-149 BC
    Obverse: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield.
    Reverse: Club; monogram and MAKEΔONΩN above, ΠPΩTHΣ and two monograms below; all within oak wreath, thunderbolt to the left.
    References: SNG Copenhagen 1314
    Ex. John Anthony

And now in the penalty box:

Punic Tet 2a.jpg
    This Punic Tetradrachm was sold by Roma to Stephen Battelle and was revealed to be a fake in 2017. I was able to return it for a refund, no problem, even though I had bought it 3 years before. Vcoins and Stephen Battelle FTW!

I hope you enjoyed my list. :)

John

Evan8, old49er, chrsmat71 and 37 others like this.
  4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Those are some fantastic coins man. The Himera is top notch.

panzerman and Theodosius like this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I loved your list. All of those coins are great. I have to admit that the MFB is my favourite. You had a great year.

Theodosius likes this.
  6. Theodosius

It will be visiting David Sear after the holidays for a full physical.

Its so pretty I will probably keep it even if it is a fake.

:)

Ajax likes this.
  7. Theodosius

That one has such a sweet obverse. The epitome of classical style in my book.

8. Theodosius

My Elis stater is pretty chewed up, but come on, the 108th Olympiad, wow!

The preservation is not that great, but the history of it appeals to me.

It does not look nearly as rough in hand, the photo really magnifies the flaws that you don't see too well in real life.

zumbly likes this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Its nice to see that you had a great coin year! You added some fantastic coins to your collection. The Aeolis/Kyme Tetradrachm is beautifull:happy:
    John

Theodosius likes this.
  10. Theodosius

Thanks, that was my Birthday gift from my wife.

:)

panzerman likes this.
  11. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

That list is amazing! That Cambria Tarentem is my favorite not only have you build your own collection but you have built mine!

And you have one heck of a wife!

Thanks,
    Jacob

panzerman and Theodosius like this.
  12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Truly great coins a real credit to you.

Theodosius likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Theodosius likes this.
  14. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

You have superb taste in coins my friend. Excellent additions!

Theodosius likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

great collection. I don't know ancients , but your 3rd coin has so much amazing detail. wow:jawdrop::):cool::cat:

Theodosius likes this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow @Theodosius tbose are fantastic! I really like the Pharsalos and Maroneia! The x6 grab is a sweet score as well... and the Bactrian tet... no wonder you couldn't pick just 10

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Theodosius likes this.
  17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

So you're the one who snagged the x6 nomos! Well done! And you certainly are a fine style freak, and thank goodness for that, what a bevy of beauties. I think my fave is actually the Pharsalos drachm, for some reason I'm just drawn to that coin. Honourable mention for the Aurelius sest. for its incredible patina, though the Kyme tet is hard to beat. Well, actually, they're all hard to beat.

Wow. :wideyed:

P.S. I hope the medical issues got sorted out. I had the same problem this year, with the same upside. :)

Theodosius likes this.
  18. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great coin year. That is a really wonderful list.

Theodosius likes this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Fantastic coins!!

Theodosius likes this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, that's quite a list! Each one is a winner in my book, but I love the Maroneia and Olympia. And of course the x6 Tarentum nomos... I'm really glad it's gone to a good home. Incidentally, I believe it's Vlasto 600 rather than 601. The two are interesting because they're of the same pair of dies, with the exception of 600 having an eight-rayed star added onto the horse's haunch on the obverse die. It's very faint on your pic, but a little clearer on the original CNG pic. From the Vlasto book:
    00IMG_4822.JPG

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    TIF, Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Stunning coins! Real museum-pieces!

Draft saved Draft deleted