A dime missing clad layer?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by gotchange, Mar 3, 2015.

1. gotchange

gotchange Off I go, Happily coin-hunting everafter!

20150303_125023-1.jpg 20150303_124953-1.jpg 20150303_125221-1.jpg
    This was part of my change from tacobell today. Should I jump or not yet?
    :+) Thank you (+:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it might be, but don't jump too high. The condition is pretty bad.

Chris

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Don't jump! A picture of the Reverse side would help also. So far I think it's just environmental damage. I have dug up plenty of dimes that look like that from the beach and parks metal detecting. But that's not my final conclusion.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    KurtS likes this.
  5. gotchange

Sorry I thought about the reverse and then did not follow through. Here it is, and thanks to all of you. 20150303_125002.jpg

6. gotchange

It looks better in person. dang camera. they all do dont they?

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here are a handful of dimes and a few nickels I dug up while metal detecting. Mine look better in person also! Yours could just be environmental damage like mine are. Happens a lot with coins from the 60's and 70's.. Oxidation
    DimeDig01.jpg

coinman1234 likes this.
  8. gotchange

20150303_143030.jpg E 2015-03-03 14.39.45.jpg 2015-03-03 14.43.12.jpg I see clearly now thank you & now that I think about it the zinc cents do that very easily. If I may ask one more thing I was wondering what you made of this, if you would. I thank you very much for your time.

9. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Clearly metal detected. If I do not find a clad dime that looks like that metal detecting I would be shocked. I think that if a clad coin has been underground for more than a year it will look like that. Sorry.

This is not my photo but someone elses photo I got online of some clad a guy found. See how it looks.
    [​IMG]
    I have seen clad look worse than that too.

10. george.kurtz

george.kurtz New Member

Would this be environmental damage then? It is REALLY dark, I tried to get the most light on it as I can, so you can tell what coin it is. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425445061.613465.jpg

11. oi!

oi! Member

12. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Something to remember is that the "nickel" layer of a clad coin is actually 75% copper, so if there's enough exposure to a corrosive environment, it will turn dark.

coinman1234 likes this.
  13. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It is too heavy to have a missing clad layer IMO.

silentnviolent likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Agree, only .05 grams off spec (And still within tolerance). I would expect a missing clad layer to weigh around 1.7 grams.

As to his other coin it is the result of an acid soak that has attacked the copper center.

16. gotchange

Wow now that's some crazy, color changing, change you have there;}

coinman1234 likes this.
  17. gotchange

That is what I am hoping for. All of the wonderful insight from all of these very informative Numismatic's..I have yet to find anything else like this one...I have had it for about five years. Thanks.

18. gotchange

Can it attack copper and leave the reeding? It looks just like normal just smaller. May I ask how much in not tolerable as far as weight? Thank you for your time and um, I am a her ;»

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

For the clad dime, the nominal weight is 2.268 grams and the tolerance is +/- 0.09 grams.

Acids acting on coins leave a smaller version of the original design as it attacks evenly on a clean surface, so the raised head of the obverse will reduce as much as the flat field, so the design stays proportional, just decreased dimension. However acids have different reaction rates on different alloys, so the cladding ( 75% copper and 25% nickel) will react slower and less than on the 100% copper core. However on both ( cladding and core) the original structures such as obverse and reverse design and the reeding with be decrease proportionally ( peaks and depressions) so a reeding will still be visible.

gotchange and paddyman98 like this.
  20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What Desertgem said, and I use the male gender pronoun exclusively unless I KNOW the person I am discussing is female. Even then I will often still use the male pronoun. And typically I don't bother to try and determine gender before responding.

21. gotchange

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE WEIGHT AND TOLERANCE WILL BE MOST HELPFUL IN THE FUTURE. SORRY FOR THE CAPS,
    I forgot they were on... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted