A Dacian Victory Denarius?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jul 25, 2021.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Thanks to @Orfew, I can now add this fairly rare Domitian denarius to my collection. He purchased it earlier this year but felt it would be more at home with me.

D446.jpg
    Domitian
    AR Denarius, 3.09g
    Rome mint, 86 AD
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VI; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XII COS XII CENS P P P; Minerva stg. r. on capital of rostral column, with spear and shield; to r., owl (M2)
    RIC 446 (R2). BMC 96. RSC 204c. BNC -.
    Ex Andrew Short Collection, purchased from Kölner, June 2021.

A very rare M2 type from the third issue of 86. This rare dating combination could not have been struck for very long after Domitian became TR P VI in mid September due to the the issue's extreme rarity, probably produced for just a few short weeks at the end of September. Imperial acclamations were awarded to Domitian at a fairly quick pace during 86 because of the Dacian campaign with many issues being struck rather briefly before news arrived of a new imperial salutation. The portrait is of an extremely fine style typical of Domitian's coinage during this time period. Hints of iridescent toning add to the piece's appeal.

Thanks again Andrew!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

It is where it belongs. It is also a fantastic portrait. I believe I have at least 2 more from the same hand.
    These fine style denarii of Domitian are hard to beat.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Job well done Flavian gang!:)

Since I've shown my three coins of Domitian a million times already, how about another emperor that's dealt with those pesky Dacians?
    18.4.png

Draft saved Draft deleted