A crusty original 1861-O Seated Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RussHJB, Sep 15, 2022.

1. RussHJB

RussHJB Active Member

Many of you probably remember my posts about the deal we did that included the 1895 proof set and other amazing goodies. Well, I decided that I needed a piece of that history too. My collecting focus is Liberty Seated coins and I fell in love with this coin when I saw it. So now that the dust has settled I’ve purchased it for my personal collection. This particular 61-O is a W-04, for anyone that isn’t familiar with 1861-O half dollars the down and dirty version is this. When Louisiana seceded from the Union the mint was taken over by the state government that continued to strike coins under the authority of LA. When LA joined the confederacy the Confederates kept striking 1861-O half dollars. The W-04 variety that was struck under the authority of Louisiana.

This coin was purchased from B. Max Mehl in February of 1916 for the handsome sum of $1. This is now hands down my favorite coin in my collection.

1861-O Composite.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No wonder that’s a favorite, she’s very attractive.

5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Wow, what a piece of history.

The thick original skin is fitting to invoke thoughts of the past of that coin- a blessing no one messed with it between then and now. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Coins that make you say wow! I would not call it crusty...at all... that got no crust...plenty of of bling.

7. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

And on the other end of that spectrum, here is my 1861 O also with a bean!
    Screenshot_20220729-184631_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220729-184636_eBay.jpg

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think the slab is unique in and of itself. I’ve never seen any coin slabbed with a grade of PO-01 with a CAC sticker on it. I really like that. I don’t see any damage, just very well worn. Very nice!

Mainebill likes this.
  9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Terrific coin, Russ, with great history behind it.

10. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I got all kinds of po01 cac stuff.

11. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

Great coin with a rich history!

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Beautiful I particularly like the csa 61-o halves. I’ve had a few

Draft saved Draft deleted