A Couple Tokens Lying Around

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jwt708, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

In my effort to digitize my Air Force trade token collection I grabbed some tokens and my camera and went at it. These tokens deserve a better post than what they're about to get so I'm sorry for that. Anyway, here they are, in their illustrious aluminum and bronze beauty: AK420a Elmendorf AFB $1.jpg AK420c-d Elmendorf AFB $1.jpg CA770c Mather AFB $1.jpg CA1800a Travis 5c.jpg CA1880 Vandenberg AFB $1.jpg CO250g Lowry AFB 10c.jpg FL360b McCoy AFB 25c.jpg FL380c Orlando AFB $1.jpg SC160d Myrtle Beach AFB 25c.jpg

John Anthony, dwhiz, Circus and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well...my first complaint...I failed to get the backgrounds to mesh and a seam is obvious. :banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad::rage::rage::rage:

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Nice tokens. Looks fine to me. No complaints on this end.

How's the weather there?

Jwt708 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Look good to me too. Wish I could take pictures like that.

6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Compared to my cell pics, you should probably get a Nobel Prize for your photographs. :)

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

You all are too kind! Thanks for checking them out - they need love too! Not Morgans but much more interesting, if you ask me!

The aluminum tokens all have a similar color that's a little unnatural...well at least they don't have a reflection because they're a pain to shoot!

8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Very nice pics, Jack. I don't see a thing wrong with them. Oh, and by the way, a great selection of tokens as well.

I'm sorry, but I had no luck at Baltimore. Cunningham didn't have anything new that I noticed. I'll keep looking.

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Weather is great! Fired up the grill and had some steaks.

TJ1952 likes this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me Bruce! I really appreciate it! Guess it wouldn't be a white whale if they were easy to find...

11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

The wind here last night reminded me of Harrogate!

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great images. Lots of history behind these tokens. Love the style of the Vandenberg.

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Some more photos...one day I'll get around to writing about the bases, etc. but today is photos.

AK320c Indian Mt AFS 10c.jpg AK420a Kotzebue AFS 5c.jpg AK420b Kotzebue AFS 10c.jpg AK420c Kotzebue AFS 25c.jpg AK420d Kotzebue AFS $1.jpg AK420f Kotzebue AFS 25c.jpg AK420g Kotzebue AFS 5c.jpg
    The two aluminum from Kotzebue are unlisted in Cunningham, however he does list an aluminum $1 token. I suspect a full issue in aluminum was made but I've never seen any other ones for sale. I've been messing with my technique a bit with aluminum. It's very reflective and I can't stand having a reflection in the coin. Seems I've figured out how to eliminate the reflection however all blemishes are hidden. If you purchased these tokens based off these images you would be disappointed when seeing the scuffs in the fields. These tokens are very well struck though.

AK500e Murphy Dome AFS 25c.jpg
    I can not for the life of me capture the correct color here. It looks like a light purple in hand.

AK620g Shemya AFS.jpg
    This was my first "mint state" token I ever bought.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

And a couple more for today:

AK750e Wildwood AFS $1.jpg CA1100a Norton AFB 25c.jpg

John Anthony, ldhair, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice! The pics look super!

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks John! Backgrounds need a little work, as does my ability to do aluminum. I was shooting with sunlight. My lamp is U.S. spec but all the transformers were in use. If I were here for another year I would probably look for a U.K. lamp.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It's been a couple weeks, took a vacation, and then took some shots last night and thought I would share them here.

AZ120e Davis-Monthan AFB $1.jpg
    AZ120e Davis-Monthan AFB, Aluminum, 37mm, likely used 1961

AZ131 Davis-Monthan AFB $1.jpg
    AZ131 Davis-Monthan AFB, aluminum, unlisted in Cunningham.

CA1100a Norton AFB 25c.jpg
    CA1100a, Norton AFB, brass, 28mm

GA490b Robbins AFB 10c.jpg GA490b, Robbins AFB, brass, 25mm

ID51a Mountain Home AFB $1.jpg ID51a, Mountain Home AFB, aluminum, 35mm, unlisted in Cunningham

ID51b Mountain Home AFB $1.jpg ID51b, Mountain Home AFB, aluminum, 35mm, unlisted in Cunningham

IL320b Scott AFB 50c.jpg
    IL320b, Scott AFB, brass, 32mm, the ornaments are not described in Cunningham. Sometimes he doesn't list every variety and writes "varieties exist" but that's not the case with this token. I can't remember if I've seen these before without the ornaments.

KS20b Forbes AFB 25c.jpg KS20b, Forbes AFB, brass, 28mm

KS370j McConnel AFB $1.jpg
    KS370j, McConnell AFB, aluminum, 35mm, 2000 of these were ordered in June 1969.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

A couple more I shot last night...

LA90a Barksdale Field 5c.jpg
    LA90a, Barksdale Field, nickel, 21mm

LA100c Barksdale Field 50c.jpg
    LA100c, Barksdale Field, brass, 28mm

The two above are among my favorites. Both were made before the Air Force was established and the 5 cent piece is made of nickel. The 50 cent token was my first "expensive" token and my first pre Air Force.

19. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Why were these tokens created and used?

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Essentially they were used for a couple things: in slot machines at the clubs, vending machines, to make change, and as a way for the clubs to extend credit to service members. That's the quick answer.

21. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Thanks for the answer, but it still doesn't make sense to me. They could have used regular currency for all of those things.

Draft saved Draft deleted