A couple of upgrades...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Early on in my collecting days (which is only about 3 years ago) I picked up these two
    coins of Julian II. The first from a pick bin at a small coin show I attended. The Bull I purchased on VCoins. They're pretty rough - but I was super excited to add them at the time. I still have no issue owning rough coins - but I have slowed down my buying considerably trying to acquire some nicer examples.

upload_2021-3-15_21-22-35.png
    upload_2021-3-15_21-32-59.png

Really happy with the two upgrades below... combined for under $100.. which I thought was quite good as I have always kept my eye open for upgrades.

upload_2021-3-15_21-45-37.png
    3.14g
    Helmeted bust of Julian II left "DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AV"
    Wreath "VOT X MVLT XX" "CYZD" in exergue
    RIC 130
    Cyzicus mint

upload_2021-3-15_21-44-29.png
    8.73g
    Bust of Julian II right "DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AVG"
    Bull standing right, two stars above "SECVRITAS REIPVB" "NIKB" with palm to each side in exergue
    RIC 121 Nicomedia mint

**Please share your upgrades, coins of Julian II or anything else you deem relevant.
    Thanks for looking.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Love that Julian II and bull. Both are great but I think I like the original better. The green patina really makes the bull and the bust pop.

Clavdivs likes this.
  4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Can see that for sure ... The original Bull looks quite a bit better in hand than in that photo - my photography is terrible. It certainly is interesting what draws us to particular coins.

I really prefer an even surface that shows as much detail as possible but I know most consider that look to be stripped patina, over cleaned, etc. That is fine.. I just try to collect what appeals to me.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

this is an upgrade (maybe)

IMG_5378.JPG

but I will keep both since they are different workshops

Alexandria_18b.jpg

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Upgrade.

From this ...

[​IMG]

... to this!

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman oricalchum sestertius, 22.36 gm, 33.7 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 160.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: FECVND AVGVSTAE S C, (Faustina as) Fecunditas standing left, between two children (thought to represent Faustina III and Lucilla), holding two infants in her arms (thought to represent Commodus and Antoninus).
    Refs: RIC 1635; BMCRE 902-904; Cohen 96; Strack 1336; RCV 5273; MIR 10.

7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I prefer the upgrades. There's a lot more detail on the bull. And the portrait on the votive is stunning.

Clavdivs likes this.
  8. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Both your "new" coins are definitely much more attractibe than your old coins – I very much like them.

Ever since having read Gore Vidal's novel "Julian" last summer, I'm looking for a siliqua of this emperor. So far, I've been unsuccessful, though.

Here are my AE examples:
    Rom – Julian II, AE1, Bulle (neu).png
    Julian II, Roman Empire, AE1, 361–363 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AVG; diademed, draped, cuirassed bust of Julian II r. Rev: SECVRITAS REIPVB; bull standing r., two stars above; mintmark (branch) ANT (branch). 27.5mm, 8.54g. RIC VIII Antioch 216.

Rom – Julian II, AE3, Vota X Mult XX, Antiochia.png
    Julian II, Roman Empire, AE3, 361–363 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AVG; bust of Julian II, helmeted, cuirassed, with shield and spear, l. Rev: VOT X MVLT XX; in wreath; in exergue, ANTB and branch. 20mm, 3.1g. Ref: RIC VIII Antioch 219 B.

Draft saved Draft deleted