A Couple of "New to me" coins...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Jun 21, 2019.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Here's my latest coins. The Diocletian came in with the Probus ones and since I'm here I'll show ya my Vladislav ll denier, possibly upside down :D (circa 1497-1503), (king of Hungary, 1490-1516, father was Casimir lV, king of Poland & Elisabeth of Habsburg). I started collecting on the tetrarchy back in 05-06, when I was still a freshman collector( I consider myself a sophomore now:p) but didn't really understand it and soon got bored and moved on to other areas( I understand it a lil better now, but there's always room for improvement). I read on Diocletian yesterday for over 3 hours and STILL didn't finish 9_9..now i'm making an educated guess that is coin was minted before his reform of coinage, judging from the make and style, between 384-96. i'm thinking that's Jupiter on the reverse and Maximian was co-emperor because there's AVGG also on the reverse..in the exeuge i can think i see XXlB, but there might have been another symbol at the end.. if you can help ID it and/or correct me where i'm mistaken, please chime on in. :)

POST YOUR COINS & COMMENTS PEEPS! :) Dioclectian   Vladislaus ll 001.JPG Dioclectian   Vladislaus ll 003.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Do I read SERMATA on reverse of Sestertius ?

ominus1 likes this.
  4. ominus1

..no, i don't think..its (X?) Xl(B?)(?) antoninanus Charles..19mm @ 3.04 gms..:) (i should have put that on there...)

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Looks like IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG on that radiate. There are umpteen varieties of coins with this reverse type, many with different obverse inscriptions. Have fun!

ominus1 likes this.
  6. ominus1

it is RC yup.. it has on the reverse AVGG...:)

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice job on the captures, Greg! The Big Dio is great, but I know nothing about the Poland Denier.

Here’s my Big Dio...just a run-of-the-mill Votive. Funny how Emperors had to constantly pay off their Legions...

[​IMG]
    RI Diocletian 284-305 CE AE Folles VOT XX

Marsyas Mike, TIF, Bing and 2 others like this.
  8. ominus1

..hehe....unpaid soldiers make bad bedfellows..Julius knew this...(and that's "Austrian"..he never inherited his dads lands...:)

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

No the reverse inscription is IOVICON-SERVAT-AVGG.

7Calbrey and ominus1 like this.
  10. ominus1

...and that is no joke RC...

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The XXI identifies your coin as pre-reform. It indicates that the composition of the coin is 20 parts bronze to 1 part silver. This 20:1 ratio does not appear on the post-reform radiates.

Your coin is RIC 162, minted in Rome between 285-286 A.D.

7Calbrey, Alegandron and ominus1 like this.
  12. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Here is a Diocletian minted at Tripoli JAB-254 OBV.jpg JAB-254 REV.jpg in 284 A.D.

Draft saved Draft deleted