A couple of minor Vespasian additions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have been looking for an example of the first coin for quite some time. It is a desirable type for Flavian collectors. The reverse is an homage to an Augustus denarius from decades before. It is quite common for Vespasian coins to use earlier coin types as inspiration. I know the coin is worn, but it is also difficult to find. This coin did not seem to attract much interest today in the auction. I was interested the moment I saw it several weeks ago.

Vespasian RIC 681.jpg

Vespasian (69-79). AR Denarius Rome. 74 CE
    (18mm 3.07g)
    Obv: Laureate head right; IMP CAES VESP AVG
    Rev: COS V; 2 upright laurel trees.
    RIC 681
    Savoca 31st Blue Auction April 26, 2020. Lot 952

The second one was purchased because I have been chasing down left facing portraits for Vespasian. While not super rare, it is uncommon enough that I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. V966.jpg

Vespasian AR Denarius. Rome Mint. 77-78 CE
    (18.2mm 2.92g)
    Obv: Laureate head left. CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG
    Rev: ANNONA AVG; Anonna seated left with sack of corn ears.
    RIC: 966
    Purchased from Lazooro on Delcampe April 20, 2020.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Nice coins. I used to buy old postcards on Delcampe on occasion, depicting various places in Europe where my family used to live long ago. Do you find them to be a useful source for ancient coins, akin to VCoins and MA-Shops? I've never even looked at the coins there. I assume that the dealers are mostly in Europe, as much as or more so than MA-Shops.

4. Orfew

In many cases the coins are overpriced imho. However, this is the second coin I have bought from the same dealer there, so there are gems to be had. The issue is that you need to know what you are looking at. So far I have no major issues buying there. Also, yes, the majority of dealers seem to be European.

DonnaML likes this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks.

6. Orfew

Here is my photo of the first one.The coin arrived today by Fedex.

V 681.jpg

7. Orfew

Got the second coin. Very happy with it.

V966.jpg

Limes, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted