A Couple of Fine Style Sestertii

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great information thanks everyone. Be safe

Limes and Curtisimo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins, @Curtisimo!

Here are my humble sestertii of this imperial couple. The Faustina II is a coin I don't ever plan to part with, but her husband is somewhat lackluster...

Rom – Marcus Aurelius, Sesterz, Roma (neues Foto).png
    Marcus Aurelius, Roman Empire, sestertius, 171–172 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG TR [P XXVI], bust of Marcus Aurelius, draped and laureate, r. Rev: [IMP VI] COS III, Roma seated l. on pile of armor, leaning on shield, holding sceptre; in fields flanking, SC. 30mm, 26.95g. Ref: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1037. (Struck on occasion of the Roman victory in the Marcomannic Wars in 171/172 AD, after which Marcus Aurelius assumed the title Germanicus. Likely, Roma sits on the weapons captured from the Germanic tribes.)

Rom – Faustina II, sesterz, Juno.png
    Faustina II, Roman Empire, sestertius, ca. 161–164 AD, Rome mint. Obv: [F]AVSTINA AVGV[STA], diademed portrait right. Rev: IV[NONI] REGINAE, S-C, Iuno standing left with patera and sceptre, peacock left. 30mm, 27g. Ref: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1651.

Ryro, IMP Shogun, Bing and 6 others like this.
  4. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

My favourite sestertius of Marcus Aurelius, with a nice armoured bust
    71CC34A6-8380-40B9-9257-7108B1842A2E.jpeg

Marcus Aurelius, 161-180. Sestertius Rome, struck 173-174 AD.

M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVIII Laureate and cuirassed bust of Marcus Aurelius to right, seen from behind.

Rev. IMP V COS III / S - C Jupiter seated left on throne, holding Victory in his right hand and long scepter with his left. BMC 1472. Cohen 252. RIC 1098

Ryro, IMP Shogun, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Really nice patina on both of these. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you @Agricantus . Excellent dupondius as well. If that couple wanted to end up on a coin I bet they had something else in mind!

The Marcus Aurelius you gifted to your dad is marvelous. Just reinforces what all of us already knew about your selfless generosity! Plus you have those two replacement MAs to keep you company. I like the Germanica trophy dupondius.

Thank you @Mr.Q !

Thanks @Orielensis ! I don't find your MA sestertius lackluster at all. I think the tie in to the Macromannic War is especially cool. My favorite MA denarius is also a reference to the Macromannic Wars and is one of the main reasons I was happy to purchase it.

I also agree that your Faustina II is a definite keeper with a nice portrait!
    4631D8F7-EB55-4A31-9431-232613189610.jpeg

Wow, I can see why this is a favorite. I don't recall seeing too many portraits of Marcus Aurelius cuirassed in this manner. Great coin.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  6. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Excellent examples.

Well done!

My latest is this old soldier, a bit rough around the edges but he did make the 2020 family portrait:

[​IMG]
    Trajan 98-117 A.D. sestertius RIC II 500 Fortuna 103-111 in Roma
    Laureate bust to right, drapery on left shoulder
    IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P
    S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI S-C

Fortuna standing left holding cornucopia and rudder resting on prow; S-C across fields

But I want to share this one, because it feels like a good fit:
    [​IMG]

Marcus Aurelius 161–180 A.D. sestertius RIC III 948 Victory
    M ANTONINVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX
    TR POT XXI [IMP] IIII COS III

**Only variant with a meteor below the chin to commemorate the Saturnalia comet of 165**

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted