Featured A couple of Aksumites

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by +VGO.DVCKS, Sep 17, 2020.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When I think of Sheffield I think of silver plate over copper alloy kitchenware. That process was invented a few millennia after a similar technique brought us fourree coins. I would think it would work to apply a small spot of gold to the die before striking and count on the heat and pressure of striking to make it bond. This is not a subject I have seen discussed.

Pellinore and Severus Alexander like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Yeah, not an identical process. Just with a level of (nuanced) consonance.

4. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I bought a small lot of Axumite coins in an auction. Unfortunately, I lost three other lots that had some really nice Axumite coins, but I guess I am thankful to getting these. There are a few others that I haven't photographed yet...

Aksumite Empire: Anonymous (ca. 440-470) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 36.2; Munro-Hay Type 76; BMC Axum 316)

Obv: CAX ΛCΛ; Crowned bust right, holding cruciform scepter
    Rev: +TOV TO ΛPECH TH XWPA; Greek cross within circle, central element with gold inlay

[​IMG]

Aksumite Empire: Armah (ca. 630-650) AR Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 71.2; Munro-Hay Type 151; BMC Axum 566)

Obv: ነገሠ አረመሐ (neguš ’ArmaH; King Armah); Crowned bust of Armah facing right, holding cruciform scepter; cross-tipped grain ear to left
    Rev: ሠሀለ ወሰለመ (šáhl wa-salám; Mercy and Peace); Church façade

[​IMG]

Aksumite Empire: Armah (ca. 630-650) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 72a; Munro-Hay Type 153; BMC Axum 577)

Obv: ነገሠ አረመሐ (neguš ’ArmaH; King Armah); Crowned and draped full-length figure of Armah, wearing beaded necklace, enthroned right, holding cruciform scepter
    Rev: ፈሠሐ ለየከነ ለአሐዘበ (feššeHá la-yekun la-’aHzáb; Let there be joy to the people); Openwork cross with central gilding connected to ring by stem; wheat stalks emerging from ring

[​IMG]

seth77, Orielensis, VD76 and 10 others like this.
  5. Quant.Geek

Aksumite Empire: Kaleb (ca. 510-540) AR Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 42; Munro-Hay Type 111; BMC Axum 411-12)

Obv: ነገሠ ከለበ (neguš Kaleb; King Kaleb); Crowned bust right; cross above
    Rev: ለሀገረ ዘየደለ (la-hagar ze-yedlu (or za-yedallu)); May this be (or he who is) suitable for the city/country); Bust right, wearing headcloth; cross above

[​IMG]

seth77, Orielensis, VD76 and 9 others like this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

that was some of The Real Kind. Otherwise, just never mind. On YouTube, I'm headed toward some Al Green, or something. ...No, by way of several prearticulate progressions.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  7. AncientTreasures

AncientTreasures New Member

Wow those are really cool coins.

+VGO.DVCKS and Quant.Geek like this.
  8. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Some fantastic coins here guys, although it needs some more silver! Axum has always fascinated me and the eventual goal would be to have three Axumite coins in the collection; A pre-Christian gold piece, a silver unit and copper unit with a gilded cross to show their conversion to Christianity.

Earlier this year in a Roma auction I could cross the second one of the list with an example that I just fell in love with. The toning is waaaay nicer in hand and the busts are just plain fantastic!

519.jpg

Kingdom of Axum, Ousanas I AR Unit. Circa AD 320-340. +OYCANA ("Ousanas"), draped bust right, wearing head cloth; all within double circular border / BACIAЄI ("King"), draped bust right, wearing head cloth; all within double circular border. SACAM 80-5; H 25; Munro-Hay Type 32-3. 1.11g, 13mm, 12h. Extremely Fine; attractive iridescent tone, exceptionally preserved.

9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I remember this wonderful coin... glad it went to CoinTalk family!

+VGO.DVCKS and AnYangMan like this.
  10. Quant.Geek

11. AnYangMan

Oh fantastic! Hopefully I wasnt bidding against you! :nailbiting:. I had expected the hammer to be a little higher and was prepared to go up a fair bit/ Maybe the sligthly rough edge put off a few bidders? Anyhow, super stoked to have won it!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  12. +VGO.DVCKS

@Quant.Geek, an AR example of Kaleb! I'm betting money I don't have that it was less than a tremissis of the same reign would run to. Except, something tells me that this could only happen to you if you were That good. In terms of karma, or whatever. ...Just in case it helps any, this corresponds to Munro-Hay /Juel-Jensen Type 111.

13. Severus Alexander

No worries - I may have put in an early bid or two, but as I recall I decided I didn’t need so spendy a coin to represent early Aksum in my collection. I’m glad I didn’t bid you up!

14. Alex22

Alex22 Active Member

A fascinating coin @+VGO.DVCKS. I wonder whether the Aksumite coinage shows the first types that use two-coloured/two-metal designs so common in modern coins, or were there earlier examples?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  15. Severus Alexander

The Romans produced bimetallic medallions quite a bit earlier. (This isn't mine!)
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 9.41.27 AM.jpg
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2088658

Edessa, Parthicus, +VGO.DVCKS and 2 others like this.
  16. +VGO.DVCKS

@Alex22, There's your answer! LOL

Alex22 likes this.
  17. AnYangMan

Wang Mang probably has the record for earliest bi-metal coinage? (Tagging @TypeCoin971793 for his marvelous example!)

18. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Those are great coins--I've seen them around but never researched them or anything. I haven't really been able to buy coins since I had kids, but now I'm poking around..

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted