A Counterfeit Henning nickel counterfeit???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Agilmore01, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131166840016?nav=SEARCH

Ebay listing for a "35% silver 1941 Henning nickel".... He says all Henning nickels are 35% silver like the real ones and he has one dated 1941. Anyone else see anything wrong with this? My understanding is they have no silver in them and none dated 1941. He says he looked it up on Wikipedia. He won't hear anything I gave to say. Am I missing something?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

No it's probably just a regular nickel.

4. Agilmore01

Seller doesn't believe me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Seller = idiot

6. sergeant

sergeant Not a Member

Looks like a worn coin.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There are no 35% silver Henning nickels. He made them of a composition very close to the actual composition of the pre and post war coins - close enough that the blanks were allegedly sent by the FBI to the Philly mint where they were subsequently struck into coins. With the 1944 dated Henning there are two varieties known now, one with the divot in the R of E Pluribus Unum, and the other without the divot. Both do not have the usual large mintmark on the reverse.

Here is an example with the divot in the R variety:

[​IMG]

Sometime I will image the other known variety and post it.

8. Agilmore01

I have been going back and forth with the seller. He is asking me where I get my info because it is wrong. I told him to post closeup pics of the "R" and he wont, but keeps telling me I am wrong. Maybe of others say something to him too he will get the idea.

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Don't argue with fools.

Endeavor and Agilmore01 like this.
  10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It's not worth it...he is wrong, let it go. You're not going to convince him.

FWIW, 1941 is not a year that is associated with Henning nickels. From my research, the known years are 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947, and 1953. Of course, the 1944 is the most famous. Also, not all Henning Nickels had the louped R.

11. Agilmore01

Yep. He is doing everything to try to convince me but can't show me proof. It's becoming like a game now. He is so sold on it being real.

12. CamaroDMD

It's possible be truly believe what he has...or he knows better and is trying to convince you otherwise. Either way, you can't win. Plus, it sold already.

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I think the seller is just trolling you dude.

Endeavor likes this.
  14. Agilmore01

Yeah, he just sent me a YouTube video link to Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up

treylxapi47 likes this.
  15. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

i am at a loss, what is a henning nickel??

16. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Not sure, but I bet it is way different than one of these [​IMG]

17. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

He Rick-Rolled you?? Wow. I must admit though, that is pretty funny. :joyful:

treylxapi47 and scottishmoney like this.
  18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Well, someone just bought a regular worn out nickel for $12. No silver content, no Henning nickel and no value. The buyer will be posting soon on some coin board....Just bought this Henning Nickel on eBay, what's it worth?

Agilmore01 likes this.
  19. CamaroDMD

Francis LeRoy Henning was a famous counterfeiter of nickels in the mid 20th century. His counterfeits were so good, they can still sometimes be found in circulation today.

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Rarely though. Most of them were picked out of circulation in the 1950s and early 1960s. I have gone through hundreds of thousands of nickels in roll searches and a Henning has eluded me.

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

CamaroDMD answered your question but let me add something to the urban legend of Francis LeRoy Henning. He counterfeited nickels in the 1950s.

A 1944 nickel was found that did not have the large mint mark located over the dome of Monticello. Coin collectors found this to be more than odd & the treasury department concluded that the no mint mark 1944 coins were counterfeit. With the treasury department on his heels, Mr. Henning went on the run & allegedly dumped a pile of his counterfeit coins in a New Jersey river when eluding capture/prosecution. He was caught & convicted of counterfeiting.

Draft saved Draft deleted