A Cool Crocodile Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Apr 3, 2021.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I was really thrilled to have recently acquired this very rare tiny bronze struck for Domitian at Alexandria.

RPC2750.jpg
    Domitian
    Æ Dichalkon, 1.58g
    Alexandria mint, 91-92 AD
    Obv: No legend; Head of Domitian, laureate, r.
    Rev: LΙΑ; Crocodile, r., with sun disc
    RPC 2750. Emmett 333.11. Dattari-Savio 6815-16.
    Acquired from Athena, March 2021.

A series of small bronzes were struck at Alexandria without obverse inscriptions. Identifying which reign they belong to is down to identifying the obverse portrait and the regnal year date on the reverse. We are on firm ground with this dichalkon which unmistakably features a portrait of Domitian on the obverse and regnal year 11 on the reverse. This ethnic type featuring a Nile crocodile is fairly rare, being struck for just a handful of regnal years. It almost certainly depicts the ancient Egyptian crocodile god Sobek, god of the Nile and fertility. Sobek was particularly venerated during the Roman period in the Fayum, a swampy area west of the Nile Valley that was a natural home for crocodiles.

A Roman period ritual offering box featuring a king making an offering to Sobek.

Egyptian_-_Chest_with_Writing_-_Walters_61271.jpg

A present day Nile crocodile basking in the sun.

nile croc.JPG

This species can grow up to 20 ft. in length, disproportionately larger than the tiny Alexandrian coin which depicts them!

And you knew this was coming. At least there are crocodiles in this version.

Feel free to show off your numismatic reptiles!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your latest Flavian rarity, I'll add a favorite crocodile from Nemausus with a write up: Crocodiles & Roman
    Col Nem Augustus Agrippa.jpg
    Gaul, Colonia Nemausus, Augustus, 27 BC-AD 14, with Agrippa, AE As(?), struck circa 9/8-3 BC
    Obv: IMP, heads of Agrippa, wearing rostral crown and wreath, left and Augustus, wearing oak wreath, right, back to back, DIVI F Below
    Rev: Crocodile right chained to palm branch with short fronds; wreath with long ties above, palms below
    Ref: RIC I 158; RPC I 524

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Super cool coin, David.

David Atherton likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hadrian, AE drachm, Nilos reclining.

Egypt, Alexandria - Hadrian. (117-138)
    Year 127-128

Type: AE Drachm, 32mm 24.42 grams

Obverse: AVT KAI TPAI AAPIA CEB, Laureate draped and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: LDW (delta) EK in exergue, Nilos reclining left upon a crocodile, holding cornucopia and reed, Genius emerging from the cornucopia and pointing at letters IS in upper field

Reference: Milne 1269

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That IS cool! This is my only croc:

Augustus and Agrippa Nemausus Crocodile.jpg

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent and rare croc
    As many others here I only have more common Nemausus crocs (still, coins, not shoes)

0030-409.jpg

0030-410-2.jpg

0030-411.jpg

0030-412.jpg

Q

8. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Ok, this posting and the rest of the contributions just scream out for comment, palms down. It really is a "crock.":angelic:. Feel free to groan, I just couldn't resist the
    temptation.

Really a great thread. Thanks for making at least one follower smile.:playful:

David Atherton likes this.
  9. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

@David Atherton, if I had seen that coin before you, I would have snapped it up in my toothy jaws before you could get anywhere near it. It's wonderful!

I'm afraid that my only two coins with crocodiles are precisely the ones you'd expect, although the Hadrian is from an uncommon year for the type (with Nilus seated rather than reclining):

Augustus AE (Brass) Dupondius, 9-3 BCE, Colonia Augusta Nemausus [Nîmes] (Galla Narbonensis province) Mint. Obv. Heads of Agrippa left and Augustus right, back to back, with Agrippa wearing combined laurel wreath and rostral crown, and Augustus wearing oak wreath, IMP above heads and DIVI F below [Imperator Divi Filius] / Rev. Crocodile right standing on two palm branches, chained to palm-shoot standing behind it, with tip of shoot leaning to right; wreath above and to left of palm-shoot, with long ties extending behind shoot to right, COL - NEM to left and right of palm-shoot. “Type III” of Augustus & Agrippa/Crocodile coin (see https://multicollec.net/1-mo-h/1h04). RIC I 158 (p. 52), RPC I 524 (see https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/search/browse?volume_id=1&number=524), Sear Greek Imperial Coins 157 (D. Sear, Greek Imperial Coins and their Values (1982)], Sear RCV I 1730 (ill.). [See Sear RCV I at p. 337: Commemorates conquest of Egypt in 30 BCE; influenced by Augustus’s settlement of veterans of Egyptian campaign in Nemausus after colony was founded in 27 BCE.] 28 mm., 12.09 g.

COMBINED Augustus & Agrippa - crocodile - COL NEM dupondius.jpg

Hadrian, Billon Tetradrachm, Year 22 (137/138 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right, ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙϹ ΤΡΑΙΑ ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ / Rev. Nilus seated left on rocks, holding reed in right hand and cornucopiae in left; crocodile below; L KB (Year 22) in left field. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. III 6254 (2015); RPC III Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/6254; Emmett 879.22 [Emmett, Keith, Alexandrian Coins (Lodi, WI, 2001)]; Milne 1569 [Milne, J., A Catalogue of the Alexandrian Coins in the Ashmolean Museum (Oxford, 1933, reprint with supplement by Colin M. Kraay)]; Köln.1241 [Geissen, A., Katalog alexandrinischer Kaisermünzen, Köln, Band II (Hadrian-Antoninus Pius) (Cologne, 1978, corrected reprint 1987)]. 24 mm., 12.9 g.

Hadrian Alexandria reclining Nilus COMBINED.jpg

10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I find myself in complete agreement with Donna. That is an awesome coin. Also, of course, it is a coin of Domitian and that makes it extra wonderful.

11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great crocodile coin, @David Atherton

Here’s a reptilian cousin from the squamata order of reptiles.

pisidia2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted