A contest for a contest (20 Mercury Dimes up for grabs, followed by grand-prize)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by JCB1983, Nov 20, 2011.

1. VNeal

VNeal Member

1) grading contest
    2) best toned coin
    3) guess the coins year(show only the reverse)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

hmmm. OK for my second guess Ill say (for the festivities) either post a picture of a turkey and have us guess the weight of it to the nearest tenth of a pound or a picture of a Christmas tree and have us guess its height to the nearest inch or tenth of an inch :D

4. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Contest

Here is an idea. Post a picture of a certain amount of identical coins in no particular order, maybe three or four of different grades and one fake coin in the lot. Have a cut-off date and have the persons that select the fake coin entered in a drawing to determine winner.

5. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

If your gonna get them please spell them write.

6. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I would have 2 concerns with this contest:
    1) Some people are voting multiple times, skewing the votes.
    2) As time nears the end, the people submitting ideas have less and less exposure to views in order to get votes.
    Maybe the ideas should be submitted by a certain time, no likes allowed until after, and then after likes are allowed, have a deadline for likes, then tally likes given in that time, disqualifying any before or after the 'like period'.

My first idea is to have people guess an ancestor's name.
    Example, I would ask people to guess my maternal grandmother's middle name.
    One guess per member, per day (calender date), until the name is found.
    You could use anyone that you feel has a first or middle name that is uncommon (and unknown to members) enough to be fair.
    If it drug on for too long, you could then start offering very slight hints, like how many letters, or one of the letters in the name, etc...

7. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

My next (2nd) submission would be "Tic-Tac-Toe"....

Lay out 9 coins in the traditional layout.
    They can all be the same coins, like Roosies (for example), but all 9 must have different dates.
    Or you could use 9 totally different coins, still with 9 different dates.
    Take a picture clear enough to see the coins, but not close enough to determine dates.
    Then each participant can post one time in a set amount, like day, hour, week, whatever...
    The post should contain 3 dates.
    Whoever gets 3 dates that match 3 coin dates that are in a row, that person gets 'tic tac toe' and wins.
    You can make it hard, where the dates have to be in order, or you can make it where the dates just have to match 3 in a winning row, regardless of order.
    Play until done, no hints or 'closest wins'.
    This is where you have to decide how fast you want it to play out, and determine if you want a member to have have multiple guesses and how often they can make more guesses... one guess per hour... day... etc...

8. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

1) A contest where a random post # is selected and the person to post on that # is the winner, you'd draw that number once the post count reached say......1000

2) Ask a numismatic question that is widely discussed and is highly conflictive, have members argue their point, and whoever influences you or persuades you wins! In other words, a debate.

3) A contest where you challenge members to create a new design for a US coin, then choose the one you think is the best.

9. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

3rd suggestion:
    Go to the forum "statistics" at a predetermined time/date and look at the "newest member".
    Have people guess where that member will be from.
    Country, state/district/province, and city/town.
    Whoever is the closest geographically is the winner.
    One guess per member, period.

Example:
    I guess USA, Illinois, Chicago
    Another member guesses USA, California, Los Angeles
    The newest member at the predetermined time is from USA, New York, New York.
    I win because my city was closer.

10. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Coin Trivia pursuit, with qualification rounds. Each qualifying round gets tougher, and of course people are eliminated. The prize or prizes can be given out either as a "last man" standing or to the top positions.

11. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I believe he did spell it right. When it comes to contests, Merc and I have no "Mercy". We're in it to win it.

gary

12. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Why don't you have a contest were you pick a contest that someone posts that has the most likes by OPINION and not people going around asking for votes.

13. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Hey! That's what I said! I totally agree.
    ~Cannyn

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

If your gonna get them please spell them right.:D

15. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

major award.jpg
    ~ !! Congratulations !! ~

Winners = (surprise surprise =[] Mercury Dime + Rickyh211)
    salutefive.png
    Thank you very much for participating, and all of the wonderful contest ideas. Once again I appologize for the murky rules, and realize the flaws in the voting. On the otherhand I did a full investigation and MercuryDime and Rickyh211 tied for the winning idea in accordance to the rules set.

Your prize is shown below. Please PM me your adresses, and I'll have them in the mail. To make it fair I grabbed 20 random coins out of my Merc bag. Dates range from 1929-1943(Mostly F12-VF25).
    MercDimePrize.jpg

I have decided to take two of the ideas for a contest, and fuse them together into one contest. I will post the new contest with prize announcement in a separate thread, but here is a preview. It will involve a grading contest and a large Jar full of coins together. I will have about 10-20 coins for the "guess the grade." There will be a points system for the most, or closely corrected grades. There will also be points awarded for closest estimation of coins in the jar. At the end of the contest I will tally the combination of points from both contests into a grand total for points. Simple, whoever has the most points wins. I would also like to add that if you guess the amount of coins dead on, there will be a separate prize, as well as if you grade every single coin correctly according to the slab. Details are still in the works, and I will post in a new thread by tomorrow afternoon.

Thank You all for your participation
    ~ Jason

16. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

Darn :( Well, Congrats winners! Thanks for the contest!

17. zach24

If you're gonna get them, please spell them right.

Congrats Merc and Ricky!

18. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

19. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

That was going to be tomorrow's post.:D

Congrats to the winners and thanks for the contest!

20. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

21. zach24

Draft saved Draft deleted