A contest for a contest (20 Mercury Dimes up for grabs, followed by grand-prize)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by JCB1983, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I'm not sure if this would work on CT, but if a contest were held for the person who could design one new coin of a ; Cent - Nickel -Dime - Quarter - Half or Dollar on paper, scan it and submit it to the contest for the best or most likes to win.

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chip

chip Novice collector

I have ran two contests so far, one was a guess my first slab contest, the person had to guess the denomination, the year, the grade and the grading service. BTW it was a 2008 25$ ms70 platinum eagle graded by NGC, I weighed the 4 parts of the answer at 25 points each, giving the guesses a percentage of points. I made that contest so there was a first, second and third place prize.

The other contest I have run was for people to guess the number of coins and the total denominational value of my Mexican type set. I gave away a silver panda on that one along with other prizes,

I usually run my contests over the Christmas holiday, I have not decided what contest to run this year, but if you like either of the first two I have run, feel free to use the ideas.

4. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

How about you hold a contest on guessing the day you will receive the $3 Indian gold coin back from grading? But you would have to give us the date you send it off.

5. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

Do questions on Civil War, WWI and WWII coin related history. Jeopardy style.

6. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

Gather a lot of a bunch of nice coins to send off to a TPG and have the members guess what the grades will come back as.

7. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

*entry 1*

A holiday card making contest featuring a coin or your favorite coin. or a poster making contest featuring any coin you like with christmas theme.

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Make a list of 25 statements (re: coins). Contestants have to determine which are true and which are false.

9. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

*entry 2*

A guessing contest by summing up the dates of those 20 mercury dimes since it is to be given as prize.

10. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Take a post from one of the threads and have the contestants try to find it.

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

go to bank get box of pennies (25$), nickels (100$) and dimes (250$) --- contest is to guess how many wheat cents found in box, how many war nickels found in box, how many other pre-1964 nickels found in box, how many silver dimes found in box, and how many proof coins found in box. Each weights 20 percent of the total. Best percentage total wins, with tie to be broken by a guess between 1-100.

12. Kasia

Put three coins under shells and photo the shells, person who guesses the three coins first, wins. (a version of the old shell game).

13. Kasia

Put one coin under one of three shells, mix them up and don't look, take photo, then find out which position has the coin. Person who guesses which shell contains coin and what type of coin it is, wins. (a version of the old shell game).

14. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

*entry 3*

(heads or tails guessing contest)

using the 20 mercury dimes or any number u prefer using a similar coin

-lay them out in random obverse/reverse.
    -take a picture and make two copies.
    -edit a copy and blot some out.
    -entrants will guess how many are heads and tails.
    -declare the winner by showing the other copy as proof that entrants are guessing the same picture.

*note: 20 dimes = 19 odds

I suggest 50 coins = 49 odds

e.g.
    20 Merc Dimesz.jpg

my guess is:

heads = 14
    tails = 6

15. Dennis68

Dennis68 Member

For some reason an old episode of "happy days" came to mind-the one where they stacked quarters on their bent elbows and had to catch them all in their hands.I say have a contest like that where members have someone take a video of them doing this and whoever can do the most wins.May not be the best idea,but it sure would be fun to watch all the entries!

16. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I personally think that is a genius idea!

17. Cazkaboom

Since we are on the idea of contests, I was pondering what it would be like to have a Christmas contest where everybody who wants to enter gives a coin or a coin lot into a large prize, with one central holder who is not part of the contest (Preferably a trustworthy senior member), and the person can divide the lot of coins into a 3 large prizes (1st 2nd and 3rd) and then has a bunch of smaller prizes for the next 5 runners up. Pretty much, your coin donation is your raffle ticket, and for each coin donated into the prizes equals one chance. Of course you can't put that grimy green zinc penny that is worth nothing at all because stores won't take it it is so disgusting, but the coin has to have a small premium. And the winners can be posted one business week before December 25th in order to get the prizes in time for the season. Any senior members wanna take me up on this idea?

18. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

thanks mate! saw the thread you started about the Christmas contest. 'wish i could join, but the only good coins i have in my possession are silver Philippine-American coins. and they aint that much

19. Cazkaboom

Aww... I love those coins, if you are willing to part for a chance to win more, you can get a shot. I know that silver value alone is worth a couple bucks or more each. See what you can do, or if you want to take the chance of parting from those beauties... Your preference.
    -Cannyn

20. MercuryDime

MercuryDime New Member

I hope I win this contest!!! I have no mercies...

21. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

wow nice. i sure can part some. let's just wait 'til the contest is official. Nice idea though. reminds me of like a tournament, which in this case our buy-in would be a coin. and the prize pool is split. :smile

Draft saved Draft deleted