A Contest Complete

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lincolncent, Mar 5, 2013.

1. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Dear Friends,
    A little less than a year ago, a member of this board passed away. Today would have been his birthday, and as I was scrolling through some of his final posts, I realized that he was never able to finish his 600th post contest.
    Thus, I would like to do what he was never able to do, and that is finish his contest. The rules will certainly be changed, as you can see below, but this contest is in memory of him, and the things he brought to this board.

The Contest:
    I'm going to make this contest quite simple. The original contest consisted of picking three numbers (# of posts, coins, silver coins), and so this remains the same. Pick 3 numbers from 1 to 602. On Saturday, March 30, I will run a random number generator to produce 3 numbers. These numbers will be kept in order and the person who has the smallest departure (using the numbers in order) will win.
    For example, suppose you pick 1, 2, and 3 and the RNG spits out 2, 4, and 6. Your total departure is (2-1)+(4-2)+(6-3)=6. The smallest departure wins.
    In the highly unlikely event of a tie, the winner will be determined by the departure from the first number.
    You may not pick the same numbers as another poster.
    This contest is open to all members, no matter the number of posts or location.

The Prizes: Koen loved US Coinage, thus the prize will be a mixture of us coinage. The prize will certainly include some silver, with a small mixture of other US Coins. Nothing particularly valuable (bit short on funds), but a very good prize for anyone starting out (as Koen was). It will also include one coin from Koen's home country of Belgium.

Again, this contest is open to everyone with no exceptions. Best of luck, and RIP Koen.

EDITED: NUMBERS 1-602, NOT 1-6. Didn't proofread well enough.

ozleck77 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I'm sorry about your friend. I already saw another post about him on the forum. He must've been a great guy. I think it's great that you're doing this. I was going to do a 500th post contest but then got sidetracked with some stuff and was going to change it to 600th post. Now reading this, I'll wait for a week or two to let your contest have the subforum's attention.

I will guess 2, 3, and 4 or 234. Thanks for the contest!

edit: my new guesses 234, 432, 299

4. Zachkeaton

Zachkeaton Cervus non Servus

My new guess is 276, 384, 421.

5. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

2 4 and 6 please, I still remember him, he was very thirsty for knowledge, and actually listened when it was given to him.

might as well make it 246 then ;)

6. SilverevliS

SilverevliS New Member

Koen sounds like he was a pretty cool guy. He also has a Dutch name, so gecondoleerd.

my official guess is 111 222 333

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I shall choose 4-1-3

If by chance I happen to be the winner, I would like the prize to go to Koen's family.

Chris

8. kipling401

kipling401 Member

I will go 2-5-3, Thanks!

9. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Great idea lincolncent I will choose 1-5-6

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

3-2-1. RIP Koen.

In the unlikely event that I win this contest Storm Chaser, I like the proceeds to go to one of the YN's.

11. Dennis68

Dennis68 Member

235 what a great contest!

12. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I totally forgot about Koen's Contest :(
    Bless your heart for holding this for us.
    52 25 55

ozleck77 likes this.
  13. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

2-5-4

Wow, has it already most been a year? I remember when he first joined and now this....
    Still, great way to keep his spirit alive!

14. 16d

16d Member

242, and weve lost a bunch. I offer to buy the prize & do what Chris suggested. Collect while you can, enjoy this passion, pass it along if you can, but remember those w/the fire.

15. Outlaw

Outlaw Senior Member

3-6-9 THANK YOU for carrying on

16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

4-5-3 thanks

17. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

3-1-5 for me please! Thanks for hosting the contest! The man sounded like a nice guy... RIP Koen!

18. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

354, 267, 492

Thank you for not letting his memory fade, it is a great idea.
    Should I win, please send the prize to someone newer to the hobby than I, who would benefit much more than me from this

19. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

7-2-6 thanks for the contest

20. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

Hey, it is numbers 1-6, and some of you put nines and sevens. You might need to change that...

21. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

Oh thanks! Never caught that!

Draft saved Draft deleted