A College Degree in Numismatics

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by placement93, Oct 20, 2012.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Adelphi college has been offering courses since
    at least the 70's but I don't think any of it leads/led
    to a degree. Not sure if they still do. First Coinvestors
    and Walter Breen, both defunct, were big there.
    http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v13n48a15.html

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

My take on it, you would do much better to get a degree in business and learn the coin stuff from OJT, lots of researching and reading, etc. etc. Like it or not, most people in the coin industry are businessmen.

4. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

I agree, and, I'm sure businesswomen too.

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

YES. THIS!

If you want to be a coin dealer, business school is absolutely the way to go. Far too many coin dealers can't write a business plan.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This topic has been discussed on other boards quite thoroughly and, if I recall correctly, the Kagin PhD was not from an accredited university. Therefore, for those of us who have actually earned a PhD from an accredited university, this degree would likely be viewed as less than legitimate.

7. longnine009

Why would a coin dealer need a college degree in
    anything? They have books in libraries too. Knowledge
    is one the most inexpensive commodities on the planet.
    Unless you get it from a university and the two hundred
    dollar text books written by the professor teaching the course.

Corporate pencil necks in the personnel department are the ones
    impressed by college degrees. Small business customers
    are impressed by results.

IMO, many of todays college students are going to receive
    more misery and poverty from their 100k student loans
    than prosperity through their degrees. Those who end
    up as self employed entrepreneurs would have been able learn the same things with a $1 library card. And still could have met the girls at beach for cost of a parking pass. Or bus fare. :p

Need a college degree in entrepreneurship? Read Atlas Shrugged.

8. I do not know the history of that discussion, but from the site (which I just happened to find searching) he states his degrees are from Northwestern University. Not sure why then it would not be accredited, unless the website is misleading. TC

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Tell ya what, you go visit Northwestern's web site. And you find me where it says that you can get a degree in numismatics.

Many colleges and universities offer classes in numismatics. But there is a huge difference between offering classes and a degree in the subject.

edit - Tom, the subject has been discussed on this forum as well, many times. But it has been a while.

11. I never said that Northwestern offered a degree in numismatics. Not sure how long it has been since you went to college, but most universities offer individualized majors. It is possible to get a degree labeled as numismatics if you put together an interdisciplinary plan of study and get a committee of professors to agree to it. Most universities will allow any title that is agreed upon by the committee. There would be no difference in standing (i.e., degree conferred) between that individualized degree (BA or maybe even BFA in Numismatics) and a degree in any standard plan of study (BA in Political Science or BFA in Photography for example). On the transcript it would even state BA or BFA in Numismatics. Now what the person did with that degree, just like any other degree, depends on the person. TC

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Yes,

Wouldn't want to forget the ladies......

13. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Even an accredited PhD doesn't mean one has mastered anything or has reached "expert" status. I work at an institution with more than 4,000 people on staff with MD or PhD after their names. If I had to put a number to it, I'd say about 1/2 or possibly even 2/3 of them are complete imbeciles. Being book smart enough (or rich enough to buy yourself through) to earn a college degree does not make one auto-magically qualified nor an expert.

The ONLY way to garner the title of "expert" is to prove yourself on the job and through review by peers. Self-proclaimed "experts" rarely are experts at all.

From a philosophical point, I think the obsession in the USA and some other countries with formal college education has watered down the meaning of having almost any college degree. A bachelor's degree is almost equivalent today to what a high school diploma was 25 years ago. Sad but true. Having taught at the university level, I can attest to the fact that a good portion of undergraduate students are at college because their parents want them to be.

14. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

He did not earn a PhD from Northwestern University. His PhD came from a distance-learning school named Union Institute and University or the University Without Walls. This was a non-accredited degree granting program that in 2002 had its PhD program shut down after an investigation by the Ohio Board of Regents determined that the level of rigor was not consistent with the PhD degree. The degree program may have been brought back on line after an overhaul.

I have a PhD in molecular and cellular biology and biochemistry from an accredited university and, if someone in my field of study claimed to have a PhD with the degree coming from an unaccredited institution, then I can say fairly safely that nearly all, or at least quite a few, would discount the degree entirely and would believe that the PhD should not be attached to the name of the recipient.

15. longnine009

I only got as far as community college. But even that place was
    more about beer and the Tube Snake Boogie than learning. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." But for all the good it did me I wish I would have gotten the library card instead.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I know you didn't say that. But the web site you linked to says it -

"He earned the first Bachelor of Arts degree in Numismatics granted by Northwestern University"

My only point is there is no university or college in the USA that offers a degree in numismatics.

17. brg5658

I am a strong believer that PhD should NEVER be "attached" to the name of anyone. I find it especially hilarious when people refer to themselves as "Dr. John Doe, PhD". Not only is it redundant, but quite conceited IMO.

It is one thing in a biography to state that you earned a PhD from University X in the field of Y, but it is quite another thing to think that a degree should become a part of your signed name.

18. lonegunlawyer

I do not think anyone explicitly, or by inference, stated education bestows master or expert status. Education is only a foundation upon which to start building practical knowledge and expertise which only comes by continued work and practice in a chosen field. Even then, true master or expert status will elude the majority of people.

19. brg5658

Thanks for stating the obvious and paraphrasing what I went on to say in my post. :cool:

20. lonegunlawyer

You are very welcome. Your thoughts just needed a little red pen to make them clear and concise. :smile

21. longnine009

What did Kagin do his dissertation on?

Draft saved Draft deleted