A Collection of Uncirculated Rolls of 1982 and 1983 Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I can recall only one dealer at shows that brings rolls to a show to sell nickel. As for their binders what they do bring they are very limited on modern coins as nickel,dime, cents, quarters, yes they may also have new release items and 2x2 boxes to go thru.
    But out of 25 + dealers I know personally ive never seen one or heard of one laying out their cash flow on rolls of such.....I have offered many times rolls I had a sealed bag of the buffalos, and other western series....nada wanted...they went back to the bank.
    Now perhasp something new and currently hot "W quarters " yeah they will bite as they know that they will move thru inventory.
    I see what they will and wont buy....ive seen them meaning the entire room full of dealers turn down a set of Franklins BU or better @ melt!
    People asking me at the door why or do I want them.
    If you walked into the show here, and offered a roll of 82/3 Jeffs you get $2 @ piece offer if you got that as they most probably pass. I've tried many times.....I had certfied rolls, signed rolls rolls ,1st day cover stamped rolls....they all passed .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Don't forget to look for 1982 dimes with no mint mark...

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

They are all "good" rolls but nothing terribly special other than the '82-P quarter roll. This roll is only a $235 roll but the buyer sees the same thing I do; the potential for Gems. The '82-P simply doesn't come this nice in rolls.

While the rolls aren't "special" it should be noted that there are a lot of these that are simply awful and none of these are. Some rolls come with very poorly made coins that are scratched up a great deal and tarnish can be common too. Most of these coins are "ready for retail" and don't need to have many culls pulled out of them.

The original buyer was lucky.

There are other MS-65's as well but with these screwy markets even scarce moderns aren't worth the cost of grading. I usually advise people to sit on nice coins and wait for Redbook to print "real" prices instead of what appeases the modern bashers. All Gem '82 and 3 issues other than cents are scarce. There are probably 30 or 40 in these rolls, maybe more.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Yes, but Hamilton Bank is Missouri so there won't be any.

6. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Well, they are all up on eBay right now (with the exception of the 83p roll that already sold for $475). I always start my auctions at .99 without a reserve because it is more exciting that way. I’m very interested to see what these bring. I’ll be sure to update this thread with the final sale prices next week. I really appreciated all of the opinions offered thus far.

7. Mark Metzger

Since we’re all getting spun up about conditional rarities, here’s a 1982 P quarter that was not in the UNC tube but instead was part of a year set in a plastic Whitman holder. I took multiple angles because the straight on shot was a little too glamorous. I’d love to know thoughts on grade.
    9096DA98-A48D-4FE4-9FBF-F7B0701E6F06.jpeg 7F5A1E01-3863-40EA-A843-BCB13D5F225E.jpeg 8CBC357F-D567-4FA1-BDBD-7282DC992E8F.jpeg 77AB6621-02E6-42DF-A3B9-AAC466231918.jpeg 735D0397-7E19-4E16-AFFC-BEAC068D77DE.jpeg C046696F-B743-4A5B-9892-E23A03EC74CD.jpeg

cladking and NOS like this.
  8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Spectacular reverse!

These come a little cleaner but hardly better made. I think it would go MS-66 but 67 is possible.

Was it a widely sold mint set? I don't know of any in a rigid plastic holder.

9. Mark Metzger

I agree on the reverse! It is a show stopper. The obverse has some little cuts that would likely keep it from going super high. Here’s the full date set.
    4FBABC7F-05C4-46FC-8F5B-C042C03093EE.jpeg

cladking likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Those tubes are polyethylene (square) or polystyrene (round), they do not contain polyvinylchloride (PVC)

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. Mark Metzger

Well, in case anyone is interested, I listed all the rolls up on eBay this week and the auctions ended this evening. Here are the final sale prices...just a hair above face value...
    ‘82 D half dollars $63
    ‘82 D half dollars $62
    ‘82 P half dollars $94
    ‘82 P half dollars $83
    ‘83 P half dollars $31
    ‘83 D dimes $118
    ‘83 P dimes $280
    ’82 P dimes $295
    ‘83 P 83 D 82 P 82 D nickels $375
    ‘83 P quarters $475
    ‘82 D quarters $121
    ‘83 D quarters $307