A coins weight

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by skorpio13, Dec 17, 2020.

?

How much can the weight of a coin be off from mint specs

1. answer

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. answer

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I have ordered a copy of Coin World Almanac, thanks for the information GDJMSP. Enjoy a happy and safe holiday season.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

Resolution is the number of decimal places being reported. If a weight scale reports a value of 1.25 g. and another reports 1.2500, the difference is in terms of resolution. More decimal places do not assure better accuracy nor better precision.

Accuracy-vs-precision1.jpg

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And when it comes to coins, they'd be # 3 counting left to right ;)

5. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

It's important to calibrate and tare your scale before weighing your coins. That will probably reduce the variation.

6. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

I helped write the Coin World Almanac back in the 70's. I even updated that chart for it from something that Ed Fleischmann had previously prepared.

The 1943 steel cents had two semi-official weights. They started out making them at 41.5 grains (2.69 grams) and then switched to 42.5 grains (2.754 grams.) Either had a tolerance of 2 grains (0.13 gams.) So, anything from 2.56 to 2.88 grams was OK.

DEA, Heavymetal, shaney777 and 3 others like this.
  7. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

Thanks for your work.

-jeffB likes this.
  8. shaney777

shaney777 Active Member

Do you know if older, cheaper editions have the specific gravity listed as well?

9. GDJMSP

I don't, but it should be pretty easy to find the specific gravity of any coin online.

shaney777 likes this.
  10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I received my copy of Coin World Almanac, man what a wealth of information. Thank you GDJMSP.

11. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Of the Coin World Almanac? Yes, they do.

shaney777 likes this.
  12. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I've noticed that genuine coins with pretty heavy wear can be considerably less than the specified weight. For instance, I just received a 1921-P Walking Half Dollar for Christmas in about VG-8 condition. The spec weight is 12.5-grams. My scale indicates 12.03-grams for the 1921-P in VG-8. I compared it against a similar graded 1920-S, which was also 12.03-grams. Thus, these two VG-8 coins had 0.47-grams worn off or 3.76% of their total weight. I weighed two AU coins (1936 and 1947-D) with weights of 12.39 and 12.43 grams. These coins are within 1% of the specified 12.5-grams. Finally, I weighed a null date Walker with a weight of 11.28-grams (nearly 10% of its weight rubbed off). If noticed similar trends on older, worn, coins from my collection of various coin denominations (silver and copper mostly).

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Either that or not be tooooooooooooooooooooooo anal

14. GDJMSP

Your numbers are off a bit. Based on the stipulated tolerance the coins could have weighed as little as 12.403 when they left the mint brand new. So they would only be 0.373 light - assuming your scale is accurate.

Typically, coins lose very little weight due to wear, and will stay within mint tolerance weight, until they wear down to the VG stage or lower. Some coins even stay within mint tolerance well into the G range.

Just as an example for you, what would you grade this coin ?

AGE.jpg AGE rev.jpg

Now, would it surprise you to learn that even with all that wear that coin only lost 0.003 gm in weight from what it weighed the day I bought it ? And yes, I weighed it the day I bought it.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

When I was working at a coin shop I used to pull "slick" silver coins from the incoming junk silver and scrap them rather then just throw them back into the junk silver we were selling retail. Did not want to cheat our customers.

Just out of curiosity as to how much silver they had lost, a few times when I was making up refinery lots I weighed batches of slicks (which eliminates the possibility that they were all at the low end of the tolerance weights when new) and found that the lots were fairly consistently 7% light. This applied to both dollars and fractional silver.

16. GDJMSP

That doesn't surprise me a bit Capt. I'd say it's pretty normal for slicks.

17. Kentucky

I was waiting for that...

18. GDJMSP

Geeez ! If I had known that I woulda held off a while just to torment ya a bit :D

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Kentucky

I LOVE THAT COIN!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted