A coin only its mother could love

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldrealmoney79, Dec 26, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Yikes, I'd pay melt for a coin like that lol

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I've dug better

fretboard likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Dang. I need a Trade Dollar for my 7070 but I wouldn't pay half the current price for that one.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got that right, bidiots are at it again! :D

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not a Trade dollar, surely.

While it is entirely possible this is a real coin that was in a fire, the problem here is that fake Trade dollars are rampant (a favorite of the Chinese counterfeiters for a long time), and someone could have "crusted up" a counterfeit as a sort of smokescreen, and passed it off as a damaged original.

Then again, it could actually be a fire-damaged original. I personally don't know.

I personally wouldn't want to take a chance at finding out. So... pass, regardless.

Gilbert, NOS and SensibleSal66 like this.
  8. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing, lordmarcovan. It closed at $56 with four bids. I always say that I wish I could find stupid people to make a fortune off of but my conscience won't allow me.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

@SensibleSal66 same lol
    @lordmarcovan I cant tell if its fake or damaged, its so bad. Either way at price it closed it incentives to damage fakes. Question is are fake sellers willing to go through the troubles.

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I once saw a fake 1856 Flying Eagle cent- a replica which had been deliberately damaged to conceal and mostly remove the COPY stamp on the reverse. And that was just a legal replica.

If somebody wanted to conceal an outright counterfeit, they could do the same thing: mess it up and damage it a bit, in the hopes that the damage would distract people from otherwise checking for signs of a fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted