A coin of one of the great Islamic empires

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 3, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I finally acquired a type I've long sought after, the early Islamic Standing Caliph coin. Not that these are particularly rare (I'd say more like scarce), I had been holding out for one that I would be satisfied with. Even with its edge issues, it is better than most I've seen offered (it has a clear caliph), and a lot cheaper than the ones that were more preserved than my coin. The Byzantine influences are very apparent in these very early Islamic types, but Christian symbols had to be done away with, of course ( The standing Caliph type was struck before the coinage reform enacted by Caliph Abd al-Malik in the 690s that banned any iconographic representation on Islamic coins.

Under Abd al-Malik, Umayyad Caliphate
    AE fals
    Obv: Arabic legends, Caliph standing facing with hand on pommel of sword in sheath
    Rev: Arabic legends, transformed cross on steps
    Mint: Halab (Aleppo; struck 693-697 AD)
    Ref: Album 112; SICA I 615-24
    (not sure what the legends say but its definitely something I will be researching)

[​IMG]

History:

The longest and most destructive of the Roman-Persian Wars had just concluded in 628. The final war between these two superpowers had seen both on the verge of collapse at the hands of the other. But peace was achieved with the status quo maintained, and the two empires were left to clean-up and rebuild. The True Cross had just been returned to its home in Jerusalem. It was hoped that normalcy would return to the regions devastated by the fighting.

During the war, a merchant in Arabia had been opened to the revelations of God, and rapidly gained followers among the primarily pagan Arabs. Muhammad became the first person to unite the Arabs in Arabia, under the new religion of Islam. His death resulted in the Ridda Wars, the civil war between those who steadfastly adhered to Islam, and those Arabs that had converted back to their old beliefs.

With all of Arabia back under the rule of Islam, the Arabs mobilized, and in the late 620s and early 630s began their invasions of the Eastern Roman Empire and the Sassanian Persian Empire, both still weakened from the recent conflict. Lack of resources and the need to keep the Muslims united against enemies were the primary reasons for the invasions. The Romans quickly lost Syria, Palestine, and Egypt; regions that had been under their control for over six centuries and which they would never again recover. The Sassanians fared even worse, also quickly losing territory after territory, until their empire was completely conquered.

The Muslims now had their own empire, the Rashidun Caliphate, which was lead by the original, close companions of the Prophet. Soon, in 661, this was supplanted by the Umayyad Caliphate, which proved to be unpopular for its elitist Arab-centric policies that marginalized recent non-Arab converts to Islam, and the Umayyads' rule over the caliphate offended those Muslims that believed the Ummah (the Islamic community) should be led by members of the Prophet Muhammad's family. By the time of the Abbasid Revolution, which toppled the Umayyads in 750, the Islamic caliphate stretched from Spain in the west to the borders with China and India in the east.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very cool coin, VK! Great writeup too.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Neat coin & history, congrats.

5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Cool coin Jeff, great info too!! on the reverse it looks like a sword stuck in stone.:)

TIF likes this.
  6. ValiantKnight

Lol Eng it does!

Thanks all for the comments!

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very attractive coin... and excellent historical writeup.

8. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Standing Caliph is on my list as well. Nice example. They dont get much better than that. I love the replacement of the the "Christian Stuff" with the "non-Christian stuff" awesome.

9. ValiantKnight

Thanks guys.
    A good example of the conquerors wanting to make use of the monetary system they took over (and changing it only just enough to suit their needs, while keeping it familiar and accepted by the conquered).

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Different coin, same category:
    Anonymous Arab-Byzantine fals struck at Emesa (Hims).
    EmesaSmallWeb.jpg

Gil-galad, chrsmat71, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  11. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Very interesting historic review. A historical coin that tells History. Here's a similar one. Calif O.jpg Calif R.jpg

Gil-galad, chrsmat71 and TIF like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Jango => man, I love your new coin!! (very fricken cool)

... love the obverse!! (sweet!!)

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great coin and another great write up VK!

arab-byzantine coin is pretty high on my list. yours and 7C's seems to be imitating the byzantine "cross on steps" reverse of byzantine solidi (is solidi the plural?).

14. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

VK, that is a great writeup. Coins mean so much more when the story is told.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  15. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin and writeup. The one piece of Arab-(fill in the blank) coin I am missing is the Arab-Sogdian cash piece. I have only seen one for sale and stupidly did not buy it. I have Arab-Byzantine, Arab-Sassanid, and Arab-Bukharan.

16. ValiantKnight

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks all for the comments.

Here are my two other caliphate coins:

Al-Mansur, Abbasid Caliphate
    AR dirham
    Obv: Kufic legends: There is no deity except God alone He has no equal (in center); In the name of God. This dirham was struck in Madinat al-Salam year 155 (in margins)
    Rev: Kufic legends: Muhammad the Messenger of God (in center); Muhammad is the messenger of God. He sent him with guidance and the true religion to reveal it to all religions even if the polytheists abhor it (in margins)
    Mint: Madinat al-Salam (struck 771-772 AD)
    Ref: Album 213

[​IMG]

Anonymous, Umayyad Caliphate
    AE Fals
    Obv: The Kalima, in 3-line script, within three circles
    Rev: In Arabic script: "Muhammad rasul Allah"
    Mint: Tabariya (Tiberias; struck 749 AD)
    Ref: Album 188

[​IMG]

stevex6 and TIF like this.
  17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

This silver coin is from the Ayyubid Era ( Saladin ). I can read Abi Bakr. AyyubidO.jpg AyyubidR.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  18. ValiantKnight

Nice coin calbrey.

Draft saved Draft deleted