A Coin Just CRI-ing for a Reshoot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

The CT photo gurus were discussing the effect of high Color Rendering Index (CRI) lighting on coin photos in a thread a while back. In a nutshell, the Sun is rated at 100 CRI. The higher the CRI value of light you are using the better colors will be reproduced in your photos. Over 90 is good, 95 is better.

I realized the CRI values on the cheapo LED light ring and LED bulbs I was using were probably very low. I found a pair of $7 bulbs online that were rated at 90+ just to see how much difference it makes.

It makes a lot of difference. Here is the old photo with low CRI lighting.

Marcus Aurelius Sest 1Na.jpg

Here is the first photo I took of the same coin using the two 90+ CRI lights.

Marcus Aurelius Sest 1Oa.jpg

Wow.

Maybe the $250 light panel rated at 95 CRI is worth investing in... the color is much better using the new cheapo lights, but still not exactly true to life. Much better, but there is room for more improvement.

Please post any experiments you have done with CRI lighting values.

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

O yeah. big diff.. lQQks much better than the other..good move!

Theodosius likes this.
  4. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

haha!.. my pics are purdy true, but my method is a little beatnbang picture taking my way 003.JPG

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Dramatic difference! The almost complete lack of glare makes the coin appear a little flat in the new pics, but the details really pop!

Theodosius likes this.
  6. greekandromancoins

greekandromancoins Well-Known Member

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing. Other than CRI, did you use a different lighting set up in your second photo. The two photos are different in many respects, not just colour so curious what else you did to improve the second photo. The first one has more overexposed "shiny" parts.

Thanks

Theodosius likes this.
  7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

The first photo used a ring light around the camera lens and two side lights. The second photo only used the two side lights. I reduced the exposure time significantly in the second photo. The first photo is pretty over exposed.

John

8. greekandromancoins

greekandromancoins Well-Known Member

Thanks John, I have mixed results when I use 2 lights from the side. I find that the light from 2 directions can obscure the legend and other details. That is not the case in your photo above where all details are cyrstal clear - out of curiosity how did you position them?

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are many 95 CRI LED panels on eBay for a lot less than $250. I paid $29 for mine.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...3.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xl116b.TRS0&_nkw=l116b&_sacat=0
    I'm currently using a L116B Viltrox but there are many others. Mine is larger and brighter than needed but had the advantage of only having one color balance setting while many also allow warm white settings I don't need. They are sold for a wide variation in prices and packaging. Most don't come with a battery or 12V A/C converter (you only need a battery if not near an outlet and I have several 12V standard plugs left over from other things. It MUST be a 12 V one.

I do not think your improved photo was all due to the CRI upgrade. There are many factors that can ruin a photo. However, the image is much better so whatever you did, keep doing it.

Theodosius likes this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I like the new pic a lot too.

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted