A coin I've wanted for a Very Long Time - 1839O Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 25, 2022.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I saw this coin posted by another member. He told the story of how he found it, had it graded, and was going to sell it. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1839-o-bust-half-dollar-input-appreciated.398401/

I reached out, we came to an agreement, and now its mine!

I've wanted an attractive 39O for a very long time. I've never found one that was problem free, had good eye appeal, and a decent price. This one doesn't have the rainbow toning that I would like... but good luck finding one of those on a 39O!

Anyways, give me your thoughts on this coin, and post any you might own!

IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0068.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That's an amazing looking beauty, love that reverse die crack! wow.gif Here's my one and only! :D

112613861a.jpg 112613861b.jpg

kountryken likes this.
  4. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Gosh that reverse die is something else. The obverse die isn't doing too well either.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Really nice. I actually thought about reaching out on this one too and seeing if it might be for sale. I love it the only affordable mintmarked bust half

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I see it grading xf 45. I don’t see enough luster for au but I like the look

johnmilton likes this.
  7. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

As the coins most recent (I certainly won’t say “original”) owner, I’m so happy to have passed it along to a forum member. So much better than selling to a stranger on eBay. CoinTalk is the best!

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Nice coin.
    What I like about it (besides the die crack on the reverse) is the mint mark on the obverse.
    Only recently did I learn that there was such a thing on older coins.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I found this one a while back. It replaces a much lower grade one in my type set.
    iqdxcdrx7zqx.jpg 1839 straight on.jpg

AcesKings, kountryken, -jeffB and 5 others like this.
  10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I love all the die cracks!
    This one fills the bill for me, if only a VF
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Very nice coin. For some reason, I love the look of those coins with the obverse mintmark. Just something about them that looks cool. Congratulations

12. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

I agree, I like the obverse mintmark. Very nice coin!

13. physics-fan3.14

I know that @Publius2 mentioned in the previous thread that this was one of the most common die pairings for the date. But, it seems like the die cracks are absolutely fantastic. Does anyone have images of a later die state than mine?

It looks like the area of ERICA on the reverse is a retained cud here. I assume that it eventually broke off and became a full cud. Does anyone have pictures of one?

14. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

As @physics-fan3.14 already knows, his coin reflects all of the Very Late Die State (VLDS) characteristics described in Dick Graham's. I don't see any additional die cracks from those described by Graham, BUT, I see a more advanced stage of the terminal state - a shattered die. Whether or not there is a retained cud there I leave to those better versed than myself, but I think I see raised areas at MERIC implying a cud or pre-cud condition. Your coin is the latest die state I've ever seen.

The obverse also matches the VLDS description.

Super neat coin.

I suggest you forward photos to Jim Koenings with your question.

Mainebill likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

Thanks, publius! PM sent in regards to Koenings.

16. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Publius2 likes this.
  17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Nice Bustie… 3 thoughts:
    - textbook XF45
    - original gunmetal color
    - die cracks everywhere

185B0244-FB35-46DA-9166-7B900516D350.jpeg

Of course, the meme is only funny if you’ve seen Toy Story…

Oldhoopster likes this.
  18. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I remember this post and this coin. Nice job! This is part of the series I'm not fond of the design on. So I'll fill the hole later. Probably like this. Finding that perfect one and having the money at the right time. I'm glad you got it and not just anyone!

19. physics-fan3.14

What are you not fond of? The Reeded Edge Halves in general? They have a very different characteristic from the lettered edge halves.

20. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Yes it is the difference in design. There are times though I didn't like a certain coin or series and next thing you know I have dozens of them lol. And actually as far as bust halves I really prefer the original design of the 07 and 08.

longshot likes this.
  21. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Not the O mint, but a half I enjoy owning. AU58 CAC:

1839 Bust Half.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted