A Coin Issued By Caesar’s Assassin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Here is a denarius issued by Q. Servilius Caepio Brutus (this is Marcus Junius Brutus using his adopted name) during his year as moneyer in 54 BC. After siding with Pompey (in spite of the fact that Pompey had killed his father) in the civil war, Brutus was pardoned by Julius Caesar, but proving as disloyal to Caesar as he was to the memory of his father, he would play a leading role in the events of the Ides of March.
    D7C0BD86-F8E9-4191-A56C-7CADF347B00D.jpeg

this Denarius issued under Brutus in 54 BC shows the bust of Lucius Junius Brutus, who according to Livy expelled the last King of Rome in 509 BC and from whom the latter Brutus claimed descent. On the reverse is Caius Servilius Ahala, who also took part in a political assassination and from whom Brutus claimed maternal descent. This coin is SR-398 and RSC Junia 30.

I doubt I’ll ever own an EID MAR Denarius, so this will have to do. If you have a Brutus please show it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coin @Aethelred . Wonderful Brutus portrait. I like the dual ancestor type with Brutus and Ahala. It is amazing how much the L.J. Brutus portrait on your coin looks like the statue in the Capitoline museum popularly thought to show him.

I just posted my Brutus example yesterday as my #5 of my Top 10 for the year and it is currently kicking some butt in the voting. :D People love a good liberator.
    8F4B4B96-BA72-44B1-B111-92E6524144BD.jpeg

galba68, octavius, dadams and 13 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

that is a sought after one!...i have one of his cousin, who was in Caesar's will..Decimus Junis Brutus Albinus..... IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0353.JPG

galba68, octavius, dadams and 11 others like this.
  5. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I will rarely refuse an opportunity to post my Eid Mar:

EidMar.jpg

6. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I’d probably put that coin in every post I made, what a beauty and it is hard to imagine a more historically important coin!

galba68, octavius and KeviniswhoIam like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted