A coin from out of this world

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by svessien, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great coin in the OP! I still need one of those...

My Cherson AE2 of Theodosius II definitely has two aliens on the reverse:

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 5.46.59 PM.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

That is actually still “human”compared to the later issues of this series.

Spaniard likes this.
  4. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

Some ancient Indian and South Indian coins can look proper alien in worn condition. Here are a couple (not mine) that were “attributed” by me years ago. :-D

Obverse: Alien punching the evil frog prince
    Reverse: Mothership Theta
    E4F909AA-5D04-49D2-845A-353788B8E4C1.jpeg
    B8E07C5F-87FA-424E-A0BA-CDFE84AB9EE3.jpeg

Obverse: Alien peeking out of spacecraft
    Reverse: Incubation chamber
    8600F611-7A53-4CF6-B649-16CB6F436400.jpeg A6DC36EC-325A-4964-A227-146C478C9659.jpeg

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Even without venturing into alien territory, I think these are pretty intriguing coins. They were struck by Heraclius at an extremely fraught time for the Empire. The Byzantines had in the preceding years of his reign ceded control of much of Syria, Egypt and Africa to the Sasanians. Damascus, Jerusalem, Alexandria and Chalcedon had been conquered, and even the True Cross was lost. With the Sasanian armies at the doorstep of Constantinople, Heraclius was forced to empty the treasury when he sued for peace. Having bought himself some time, he then needed to revitalize the Byzantine armies, but lacked the money to do so. At that point, Sergius, the Patriarch of Constantinople, offered up the Church's silver plates and gold to help fund the effort, which Heraclius then melted down to use for use at the mint to strike new coins. There's a real possibility here that our hexagrams used to be those silver plates from the Constantinople church.

One of the David Plates, showing David in battle with Goliath, circa AD 610-613:

Clipboard01.jpg

And then, abit of a step down in the life of some 7th century silver:

Byzantine - Heraclius Hexagram.jpg BYZANTINE EMPIRE. Heraclius with Heraclius Constantine
    AR Hexagram. 6.42g, 25mm. Constantinople mint, AD 615-638. DOC 64; Hahn MIB 140; Sear Byzantine 798. O: ∂∂ NN hЄRACLIЧ Єτ hЄRA COnS, Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne, each crowned and holding globus cruciger; cross between. R: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe above three steps; K to right.

6. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Only a Poor Old Man likes this.
  7. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

I saw this and thought 'maybe I should get this' and then I clicked on the link and saw the price... :jawdrop:

I read about this before but had completely forgotten about the connection of hexagrams and church gold. This actually makes the coins even more desirable as it would be like acquiring a small part of Constantinople during its heyday.

Alex22, panzerman and svessien like this.
  8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

And its not MS/ maybe VF at best. Rudd sold one in EF way better then this coin for 500UK Pounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted