A coin from out of this world

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by svessien, Jan 22, 2021.

1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I received my two coins from the latest Naumann auction today.
    Some times I beat myself up for buying coins that nobody else wants, but I was very happy with the coins this time. The first one was a didrachm from the Satraps of Caria, but the second coin is by far the most intriguing. Here it is:

Byz hex.jpg
    The coin was described as:

"Heraclius with Heraclius Constantine, 610-641 AD. AR Hexagram, Constantinople.

Obverse: δδ NN ҺЄRACILЧS ЄT ҺЄRA CONST.
    Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne, each holding globus cruciger.
    Reverse: δЄЧS AδIЧTA ROMANIS. Cross potent set upon globus set upon three steps; K to right.

Reference: Sear 798.
    Diameter: 24 mm. Weight: 6.69 g. Condition: Very fine."

Ha! No way. There is no way those two characters on the obverse are human.
    A quick google search led me to this resembling image:

il_1140xN.959296438_nvxz.jpg

So, this is clearly a coin from out of this world. I love it already. After having admired the posters of Deacon Ray, I thought something else than black background would be nice:

Hex 9 from outer space.jpg

Please post your coins from outer space here.

Factor, panzerman, Ryro and 33 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I think you are on to something @svessien
    Maybe they are actually holding joysticks to their flying ships :blackalien:
    b202.jpg
    Heraclius
    Constantinople
    615 to 638 AD
    AR Hexagram
    Obvs: dd N hRACLIчS hЄRA CONSt, Heraclius and Constantine seated on double throne. Cross between them.
    Revs: ςЄчS AδIчtA ROmANIS, Cross potent on globe above three steps. K to right.
    19x23mm, 6.49g
    Ref: DO 64, Sear 798

4. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

Here is mine. Definitive proof that the ancients were colluding with aliens!
    6E68A0A3-A078-475F-9552-BA2AE69F2C01.jpeg

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Justin II and his spouse. Clearly they are grey aliens.

justin1.jpg

justin2.jpg

aliens.jpg

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This one features R2D2 and Princess Leia on the reverse :D

[​IMG]
    Theodosius I, AD 379-395.
    Roman AE half centenionalis, 0.86 g, 12.8 mm.
    Dagobah, AD 388-392.
    Obv: D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Princess Leia advancing left, raising right arm and dragging R2-D2, Admiral Ackbar's ship above, Christogram in left field.

7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

On the OP's coin and the one in the second there is the letter "K"
    on the reverse side. What is its meaning? Thank you.

DiomedesofArgos likes this.
  8. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

Forget those small Earth coins I want gold plated latinum.

300px-Latinum.jpeg

9. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

A hexagram! Nice score...

They are somewhat unfortunate coins, aren't they? Their design is similar to the gold ones, but they are silver instead and usually more worn. That's why when they are in good condition and from good dies they are often more expensive than the gold ones! It is a coin that is in my wishlist, I am not finished yet with Heraclius and his family!

I have posted my Heraclius solidus way too many times, so here is a coin that is equally out of this world! Byzantine of course...

classccombo2.jpg

Jesus here is like he is emerging from the mist ready to say 'Take me to your leader!'

10. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I assume it's the workshop. There are a variety of letters, symbols, or monograms for this type to represent that.

tibor and svessien like this.
  11. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's a rare one from planet 'ZAT'....
    1/2 Zatian Zoin....18mm...4.0gram
    Obverse..Lord Zater III portrait facing right, in front Z (AT)off flan in the Zatanian script surrounded by stellular map of the Zatier galaxy.
    Reverse...Interstellular transmition mast.
    zat3.jpg

12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Spectacular! Interstellar must be next level after «stellar», I suppose?

Spaniard likes this.
  13. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

The coin on the left is an Arab-Sasanian bronze. The portrait is supposedly based on a deity surrounded by flames, but clearly it is representing an emissary from the Centauri Republic (right).
    Centauri.jpg

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Mac and Me:

I watched a Family Show with my kids years ago when they were pretty young. The show was about an Alien family stranded on Earth. Uhm, it... was cute...

They always reminded me of the Lares on my coin:

upload_2021-1-22_14-47-44.png
    upload_2021-1-22_14-42-22.png
    RR Lucius Caesius 112-111 BCE AR Den Apollo dog Lares Praestitesbust Vulcan tongs above LA RE S 175 Craw 298-1

upload_2021-1-22_14-50-31.png

15. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

......OOOOoooh :rolleyes: this word doesn't exist does it?...BUT IT SHOULD......:smuggrin:...Thanks for posting this thread @svessian.....It's nice to see a bit of fun on the forum for a change and now I can't see anyone else on the OP coin apart from Chewbacca and CP3O... o_O

16. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

"Interstellar" is a perfectly legitimate word, meaning "between the stars". It's been used by astronomers (and science fiction writers) for a long time. A spaceship that travelled to Earth from Alpha Centauri would properly be described as an interstellar spaceship.

Spaniard, Alex22 and svessien like this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I was always fond of the VORLONS... one of the Ancient Races of Interstellar Travel

upload_2021-1-22_17-21-54.png

18. DiomedesofArgos

DiomedesofArgos Well-Known Member

Not mine, but this one is pretty great:

1598373_1608743633[1].jpg

Maurice Tiberius (582-602). AE Half Follis. Constantinople mint, officina A. Dated RY II. Bust facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding globus cruciger. / Large K; A/N/N/O II (date) across field; cross above, A below. Sear 496A. AE. 7.62 g. 25.00 mm.

19. Alex22

Alex22 Active Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  20. svessien

svessien Senior Member

21. Alex22

Alex22 Active Member

The posts with a Star Trek theme have reminded me of fellow Trekkie @Sallent (we miss you!). Maybe he can visit us at CT and surprise with actual photos of space aliens?

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted