Featured A closer look at the Libertas Americana Medal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, Sep 28, 2019.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Recently there has been some talk about the Continental Dollar, which now appears not be a dollar at all, but a small medal that commemorated the end of the American Revolutionary War. I mentioned the Libertas Americana medal as a less expensive (but it’s not cheap) alternative to the Continental Dollar. Here is an example that I have owned for many years.

Libertas Americana O.jpg Libertas Americana R.jpg

The Libertas Americana medal was Benjamin Franklin’s private project that commemorated the Treaty of Paris, which formally ended the Revolutionary War. Since the medal was struck at the time and in the city where the treaty was signed it would have been a popular collectors’ item in any case. The piece gained added significance for coin collectors because it was the inspiration for the Liberty Cap design that appeared on some early United States cents and half-cents.

The obverse features a goddess of liberty, facing left. A Phrygian cap, symbolic of liberty, suspended on a pole is behind her head. The words “LIBERTAS AMERECANA” (American Liberty) is above the goddess’ head and “4 JULY 1776” below.

The reverse features the goddess Minerva (France) holding off a lion (England) while the infant Hercules (America) slays two snakes. The snakes are symbolic of the Battles of Saratoga and Yorktown with the dates of those two battles below, “October 17, 1777” and “October 19, 1781.” The English translation of the Latin phrase at the top of the design is "The courageous child is not without the aid of the gods."

This medal has been become incredibly popular. It is not only an artistic masterpiece but also of great historic significance. The original gold copies were award to King Louis XVI and queen, Marie Antoinette. Both pieces were lost during the French Revolution. Thirty to 35 pieces are known in silver, and 100 to 125 pieces are known in bronze. The silver pieces sell for 6 figures in nice condition and the bronze pieces sell for low 5 figures.

The French Mint has made copies of the Libertas Americana medal in bronze, silver and gold. Experienced collectors can easily distinguish these new pieces from the original medals.

Here are some addition notes on the design details:

Lib Minerva.jpg

France is represented by the goddess Minerva (the goddess of wisdom and war) who is holding off the British lioness.

Libertas Americana Herculies.jpg

The infant Hercules is America who is slaying two snakes, which is symbolic of the Battles of Saratoga and Yorktown. Saratoga marked the turning point of the war in the opinion of historians. Yorktown was the ultimate British defeat, although it took them almost two years before they decided to formally sign a treaty.

Lib England.jpg

The lioness represents England with her tail symbolically between her legs.

The depiction of Ms. Liberty on the obverse was the inspiration for the Pole to Cap design that appeared on the early U.S. half cents and large cents. Those who collect early U.S. copper coins have long been drawn to this medal.

The 1793 Half Cent design is closest the Libertas Americana design.

1793 Half Cent O 3.jpg

The Ms. Liberty on the early large cents faced right instead of left.

1795 cent O 2.jpg

As I said earlier, these medal is not cheap. A nice one will cost $12 to $14 thousand. Silver pieces sell for over $100 thousand. I think that it is more attractive in bronze.

The French Mint has made modern copies that are considerably cheaper. A few years ago the bronze cost less than $100, but I have not priced them recently.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks for posting this. Without a doubt, Libertas Americana is one of my favorite medals. I could never afford the originals, but I do have the silver and bronze restrikes that were offered by the Paris Mint at the FUN Show many, many years ago.
    IMG_1202[1].JPG
    IMG_1203[1].JPG
    IMG_1204[1].JPG
    IMG_1205[1].JPG
    Chris

4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks for the write-up, beautiful piece of Americana you got there! I’d have to settle for the re-strike set that Chris posted, which is beautiful as well.

5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Oh, that is one phat medal!...oh, & one fat baby! :smuggrin::D;):rolleyes:

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This medal is by far one of my top wishlist items. I don't collect medals, but the Libertas Americana is just so iconic that I need one.

Could you discuss a bit more the markers for how to tell an original vs. a restrike? I know a couple of them, but I think that could be an important point to cover.

7. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Very nice write up.

8. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Very nice medals and writeups!

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Another very entertaining, and educational thread.
    You never cease to amaze. Thanks for your time, and effort.

PS, I'd also like to see the differences between the original, and restrikes.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

johnmilton, Thanks for your excellent, well researched article ;). Your bronze example is a true jewel :jawdrop:! It appears to be mint state or close, & the patina looks totally natural & never cleaned :woot:. I've never been able to afford a beautiful example like yours so I settled for a gold restrike about 10 years ago, pictured below. The Paris Mint made the gold restrike in two sizes; mine is the larger size. Heritage sold a gold restrike comparable to the one I have for $3,995.00 in Feb., 2016.

IMG_0486.JPG
    Libertas Americana Restrike (2000), Paris Mint, 45.86 mm, 64 gm, 920 fineness.

IMG_0492.JPG

Mainebill, Jwt708, Stevearino and 6 others like this.
  11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Just gorgeous. WOW.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The gold restrike is soooooooo beautiful! I wish that I could afford one.

Chris

13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

If I may add a little to the history, the medal was designed by the famous French artist, Augustin Dupre', who also designed the Daniel Morgan at Cowpens medal, 2 medals in honor of Benjamin Franklin, and the Diplomatic medal. Besides Franklin, he also corresponded with Jefferson and other luminaries. Dupre' died in 1833.

14. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Oh man, I would sell my house to buy this coin, if I only had a house to sell!:hilarious:

15. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

That is one of the most beautiful medal that I remember seeing. I have 2 houses. Can I get one if I sell one of my houses (Actually, it's a summer cottage.)

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

When the Libertas Americana hits VERY low four figures count me in. Like my mother-in-law used to say: "Wish in one hand....."

Steve

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I believe it is one in a series of medals (and the most popular and expensive), right?

18. johnmilton

Yes, it is part of the Cometia Americana series. It is a set of medals that were awarded to heros of the American Revolutionary War. The receipiants include George Washington for the British evacuation of Boston, Horatio Gates for the victory at Saratoga and Daniel Morgan for the Battle of the Cow Pens.

The medals that were awarded to the heros were in gold or silver. "Mortal collectors" like me are happy to find them bronze. All but one of the medals were designed and made by the French. If you include the Diplomatic Medal in your set, that can cost more than Libertas Amerecana medal because it is so rare. I chose to ignore that one.

I recently wrote a couple articles on these medals for my local club. I could put them up here in a series of posts.

The U.S. mint made small copies of these medals in pewter for the Bicentennial. They were called America's First Medals. The Libertas Americana Medal was not included in that set because the U.S. Mint has never made copies of that piece.

Here are photos of the cover of the album the mint issued at that time in the obverse side of the pieces.

Cover 1st medals.jpg Interior 1st medal.jpg

Here is the Daniel Morgan medal in bronze. The medal was executed by Augustin Dupre who also designed the Libertas Americana. This is considered by many to be the best design in the set.

Dan Morgan(2) O.JPG Dan Morgan(2) R.JPG

Mainebill, Jwt708 and Stevearino like this.
  19. johnmilton

Unfortunately, you would have to jump in your time machine and go back 30 years. When I bought mine in the late 1980s, Stacks' had a Gem Unc. available for $2,200. I bought a lesser piece.

20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I remember being at a Long Beach show in the mid-80s and a dealer had a nice XF copper piece for $450. I kick myself, but for that price you could get a MS65 Morgan$ and a gem Walking Lib half.

Stevearino likes this.
  21. johnmilton

I was at a Boston show in the 1980s. A dealer had a Libertas Americana medal in silver. He wanted $5,000 for it. Today it's over $100,000

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted