A Cistophoric tetradrachm with a double die match!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, May 21, 2024.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I've been looking for these cistophoric tetradrachms for a long time, but non 'spoke' to me, or they were too expensive to justify the purchase. As part of my recent splurge, I finally bought it, even though I had this coin on my watchlist for nearly a year (probably the longest I've ever pondered over buying a coin, and luckily no one else bought it in the meantime, for a good reason).

cista.jpg

MYSIA, Pergamon AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm.
    12.28g, 28.9mm, circa 180/167-133 BC
    REF: BMC 90, Kleiner-Noe series 11a, Pinder 84a.
    OBV: Cista mystica within ivy wreath. REV: Two serpents entwined around bow and bowcase; ΠΕPΓ civic monogram to left, race torch to right.

I got it form @zumbly's store Minotaur coins. This is what it looked like, with patches of horn silver. Upon receiving the coin, I treated with sodium thiosulphate to remove the encrustations.
    Tet.jpg

I then looked to see if there are any die matches. I'm sure the later issues of these coins are so numerous that finding a die match is almost impossible. However, since this is an early type with specific elements like the torch and high details on the bow case and the snakes, I managed to find a double die match after examining hundreds of images on acsearch. I believe the coin below, sold by Heritage is a double die match. https://coins.ha.com/itm/ancients/g...ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-JumpLot-081514#
    Untitled.png

Please share you cistophoric themed coins!

Alegandron, Neal, cmezner and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like it. One of these days I will give in and get one of these. Congrats.

JayAg47 likes this.
  4. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

I like the type. It's a little creepy (or better: slithery), but it is effectively illustrative of what went on within the famous temple in Pergamon. :-o

And I love double-die-matches of high production volume types! I agree that the coins shown were struck by the same dies. (I have 2 pair in my collection of types which were issued in significantly numerous quantities, yet are double-die matched.)

JayAg47 likes this.
  5. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Did the sodium thiosulphate treatment darken the coin to a copperish brown because there is a noticeable difference between the photos?

JayAg47 likes this.
  6. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Yes, it usually leaves brownish-yellow layer, but I mostly clean it with sodium bicarbonate. Since I like the contrast it gives with this coin, I left it as is, also the image was taken under direct sunlight so the yellowness is more pronounced.

Draft saved Draft deleted