A Childhood Dream Realized

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoloBagels, May 5, 2021.

1. Blasty

Blasty Gold Member

Fantastic! I look forward to seeing these! As a kid, I cut my own crude dies with a Dremel and struck coins on planchets made from hammered out fishing sinkers! I found one recently while going through boxes of old stuff.

This thread reminds me, I started working on my own fantasy bank note design in early 2020 as lockdowns began, but got somewhat burned out after spending many months on it. It is reminiscent of the style of banknotes from the 1870s-1880s. Front design is near completion and I haven't even started on the back. Tons of time was spent on figuring out how to simulate intricate lathework, engraving, microprinting, color layering, etc. to work on my laser printer. I'm getting really nice results. I even came up with my own paper stock that feels, folds, and sounds very close to proper currency paper. I'll put up my own thread on it at some point and hopefully be motivated to see it to completion.

Anyway, not to derail further, I too share the dream of making my own coins and notes, and this is very impressive!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Better be careful. When you see the stream of black SUV's roll upon your home, you'll know why. ;)

4. Blasty

Blasty Gold Member

For sure, I'm being mindful of what I'm doing! There is no reference to US currency or the United States for that matter, it is entirely a fantasy note of a non-existent nation for the sake of art and love of old banknote designs. It uses the pre-1928 large size and the paper (and it is paper, not cotton blend) while convincing certainly won't pass any real scrutiny. I was just going for something worthy of receiving the artwork instead of printer paper. Hang on, someone just kicked in the door... :)

masterswimmer and Evan Saltis like this.
  5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Yeah you're gonna have to put me down to order a set when the time comes.. a silver and a copper.. Sweet design sir!

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Shoot, I thought you lived in Yolo, California and had a bagel shop.
    Anyway, neat design and great idea. Maybe you could get a shop like Great Breads in Yolo, CA to buy some. They bake bagels. LOL

JeffC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted