A cautionary tale from a longtime Numismatist

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TucsonBushwacker, Jun 19, 2018.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nah, but it would have made a mess of the images in that area.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

But ya can't add that to chili.........

wxcoin and CoinCorgi like this.
  4. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

King Farouk phooey.

I want a signed Ed slab

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably no more so than a dipped coin (both are mild acids), and they get slabbed all the time.

6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I've got to stop reading posts like this. Being warped already, it brought back memories from the late 70's of a local bar I used to frequent in the late 70's. In the men's room someone put a toll booth sign above the urinal. All I can say is there were a lot of quarters in it. I always wondered who was brave enough to fish them out. Maybe some of them are in toned slabs today:)

George McClellan likes this.
  7. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Quarters, not being magnetic, would be affected very little, if at all, by the magnets in an MRI. Ferrrous metals, on the other hand - well, that's why you have to have your eyes X-rayed if you've ever worked on cars for a living or any similar job in which you might have gotten rust flakes embedded in your eyes, any little bits of rust could do serious damage while jerking around under the motivation of MRI magnets.

Also, the quarter which was medically removed was from the digestive tract of a child. You, as an adult, have a "larger caliber" intestine and most likely passed it a long time ago.

8. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Back to the other hobby...less BS this evening...

green18 likes this.
  9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

This is partially true. I had a gunshot wound to the head, and they were concerned whether or not any of the bullet had penetrated through my skull and was in brain matter. The reason being that the magnets are strong enough to get metals to vibrate and heat up, which could "cook" any surrounding tissue, not come ripping out of your body to stick to the NMR (true name for an MRI).

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not really, NMR is Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and is the principle behind MRI or Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Don't normally get images from NMR's, get charts or graphs.

-jeffB likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It doesn't cause the non-ferrous metals to vibrate, the problem is eddy currents in the metal caused by the moving magnetic fields. Non-ferrous metals have some resistance to the field lines cutting through them and as the field lines pass thrugh they create electrical currents in the metal. The resistance of the metal to those currents generates heat.

12. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

This story might be inspired by the "plague coins" story where a bunch of ancient coins are dug up from a plague gravesite.

:)

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

...and I'm not sure that's much of a factor at the energy levels used in MRI. However, if you've got a loop of metal of the right size, it could couple a hazardous amount of energy into a small area.

Disclaimer: I'm a big electronics geek, and I worked in an imaging lab for years, but I was just handling image data, and there's still a lot I don't know about radio stuff.

14. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

Ed should be dragged off to the BSU of the nearest Hospital that will take him in.
    Few things upset Bud but this went past the line.
    S20180418_0002.jpg <-Bud upset (Ed is a sicko)

George McClellan and wxcoin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted