A Case Fifty?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Skippy Topaz, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Was at the check out today and the woman in front of me paid with a hundred and was expecting about sixty dollars in change and she asked the cashier if she had a "case fifty" and when the cashier asked what that was, the woman explained that it meant a fifty-dollar bill, as in fifty dollars all in one bill as opposed to fifty dollars in smaller notes.

Is that a real expression? I've never heard that before.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I've never heard that either.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I never heard it either. It's amazing what slang terms people will acquire in their travels. When playing pool, the "case 8" or "case 9" is the game-winning shot.

Chris

5. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Maybe it's short for all fifty dollars "encased" in one bill... Learn something new every day...

6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Never heard of it, I would just say "Can I have a fifty dollar bill?"

7. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

I've heard it before when I was living in South Carolina back in the 90s. People used to ask for a "case quarter" for vending machines or payphones when they had pennies.

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I googled "case 50 bill" and came up with a bunch of results for Bill Cosby. :confused:Google has failed me...

9. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I googled "case quarter" and found that it is a slang term for a quarter (rather than 2 dimes and a nickel) mostly used in urban areas.

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Never heard it. And a "case quarter" is slang for a quarter? Usually slang words shorten the word or phrase, not lengthen it. Weird.

11. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I was in retail sales for a couple of decades and never heard the term "case fifty" or "case quarter." Anyone ever hear of "case" being used with other denominations of currency or coins?
    Steve

13. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Where I live, the term used for an Ike is Boe or Bow ( never asked how to spell it) Dollar. I'm not stereotyping here, but those terms are used only by the colored population in the south. They have many different names for things that origins stretch back to the days of slavery. They have been passed down and changed a little but are close to the same.

15. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

It seems that it means a certain amount of money as one unit. Fifty dollars in one bill, twenty-five cents as one coin, as opposed to a bunch of smaller units making up the same total. I guess like an imaginary case holding them all in one container.

Thanks for the Word Detective link, gonna bookmark it :)

thetracer likes this.
  16. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

If we read the above references, it turns out that it is British usage in origin, probably earlier too, meaning you can't pay me in PENNIES!

17. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Never heard the term 'case quarter', but the term 'solid quarter' was common.

18. skully88

skully88 Active Member

19. Kapimono

Kapimono Active Member

Learn something new everyday. Now I'm off to drink a Case Beer.

Stevearino and thetracer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted