A Caracalla Sestertius - "Tiber" patina, or just a cleaned corroded coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, Jun 27, 2020.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I've been reading about the various patinas bronze coins can have, both natural and artificial, and a I would like opinions about the coin below.

I've had this coin for several years now, sitting in an obscure corner of a cabinet. It is a sestertius of Caracalla, one depicting Asclepius and the serpent on the reverse.

This coin has a surface of medium dark bronze and very dark brown, with the black areas showing corrosion.

I don't see any signs of cleaning marks, but it might have been cleaned chemically.

So, the question that I have is whether the patina would be considered "Tiber" with corrosion, or would it be considered a corroded coin that has been cleaned at some point and is starting to tone to darker shades?

This coin weighs 20.0 grams Overall the strike is good.

28 mm., 2 h.

D-Camera Caracalla, Sestertius, Asclepius with Serpent, 6-27-20.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinDoctorYT

CoinDoctorYT Well-Known Member

Nice sestertius. Heres a young head denarius of mine:
    Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 1.00.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 1.12.52 PM.png

4. Scipio

Scipio Well-Known Member

It doesn’t look like a Tiber patina to me.
    Tiber patina is orange-golden coloured, and shows particular marks similar to carved signs, like this
    upload_2020-6-28_1-8-2.jpeg

Marsyas Mike and robinjojo like this.
  5. robinjojo

Yes, that is what I have seen with other examples.

Thanks

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

'Tiber Patina' is one of those numismatic terms not to be taken too seriously. What happens to a coin that spent a long time in muddy water does not mean it was in any particular river. I would not use the term for the Caracalla but would for the Titus even though I might prefer 'river coin'. 'Tiber Patina' does sound better than 'no patina' however that state of smooth color was achieved.

octavius likes this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

"Chocolate brown patina with brassy highlights."

8. robinjojo

Thank you all for your help. It seems that "Tiber" patina like many other descriptions applied to coins is, to a degree, subjective.

I hold no illusions about this particular coin. It has a nice strike and very good detail, but it is corroded, but not to the point of total oblivion.

To me a coin must stand on its merits, and all the words and embellishments about a coins condition do not change the coin's desirability or lack of desirability based on the final question: does that coin appeal to me?

Scipio and octavius like this.
  9. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Laureate cuirassed r, with three obv. dies, is the scarcer of the two bust types for sestertii of this type.

The commoner bust type, represented by nine obv. dies among my plaster casts, is Laureate, draped, cuirassed r.

Draft saved Draft deleted