A Captivating Cappadocian Didrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jul 27, 2016.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I'm still trying to get my coining caught up after taking several days off. This didrachm arrived last week.

RPC1647.jpg
    Vespasian
    AR Didrachm
    Caesarea, Cappadocia mint, 76-77 AD
    RPC 1647 (24 spec.)
    Obv: AYTOKPA KAICAP OYЄCΠACIANOC CЄBACTOC; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: NIKH CЄBACTH; Nike standing, r., wreath in r. hand, palm in l. hand
    Acquired from CGB, July 2016. Ex MG Collection.

Caesarea, Cappadocia struck a fairly large issue of silver coins in 76/77 AD. There are two distinct styles: "Roman" (6 o'clock die axis) struck at Rome for Cappadocia , and "local" (12 o'clock die axis) struck at Caesarea. This didrachm, struck in local style features Nike on the reverse. There are two variants of the Nike type catalogued in RPC, one with and the other without Nike on an elongated base. This is didrachm is the more common one without the elongated base. RPC consulted 24 specimens of the non base type and only 9 with the base. Oddly enough, RPC describes the non base type as Nike "standing right", as opposed to those with the base as "advancing right". Why this is so I cannot say.

Struck in hyper-veristic style similar to the denarii coined at Ephesus. I much prefer this style over the neat and fine Rome mint examples. Many eastern engravers seemed to have relished depicting Vespasian's craggy appearance.

The portrait should just be laureate, but I can't help but note there seems to be some other 'ties' near the top of Vespasian's head. I'm not sure what they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

An intriguing and pleasing portrait that looks very realistic.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Another great portrait! The 'ties'... a die break?

ancientnut, TIF and David Atherton like this.
  5. David Atherton

I considered a die break too, but then noticed the laurel wreath is engraved over top of the 'ties' in question. Doing a quick search I found another didrachm portrait in 'local' style with this mysterious 'tie'. None of the RPC plate coins show this feature and unsurprisingly it is not commented upon.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That is a great portrait. I would love one of these some day. What is the weight?

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Absolutely gorgeous!! What a fantastic portrait!

Hmm, a double or even triple chin:p:)

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The similarities with the portrait styles of Ephesus is quite striking. This one is a beauty.

9. David Atherton

6.74g, 20mm. These were struck with a fineness near 48%, with an average weight of 6.85g, and contained about 3.29g of silver. A contemporary denarius of Vespasian, equal to one drachm, had 2.72g of silver which overvalued the didrachm by 67%!

Bing, Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. David Atherton

It's quite plausible that the same engravers or engravers from the same school worked on both issues.

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow David, I love that portrait. A lovely example of the engraver's art. Another great addition to your fantastic collection!

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin, love the portrait.

13. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

A fantastic piece, hyper-veristic indeed! These were the wonderfully talented engravers. Congrats!

14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Good looking coin. Been interested in coins from Cappadocia since I picked one up.

15. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great coin! Nice and hefty at 20mm. Great portrait.
    [QUOTE="
    The portrait should just be laureate, but I can't help but note there seems to be some other 'ties' near the top of Vespasian's head. I'm not sure what they are.[/QUOTE]
    I am with die crack theory...so...cool die crack too.

16. David Atherton

Well, two things to consider - the laurel wreath is engraved over top of the mystery 'ties', and I have spotted another didrachm from a different obverse die that has these 'ties' too.

didrachm ties.jpg

Although rare, I believe it is some sort of elaborate feature of the wreath unique to this 'local' mint. Precisely what it is I'm not sure.

17. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

The style of the second example strikes me as an ancient imitation. Maybe copying your example?

18. David Atherton

It's quite in keeping with the 'local' style. Some engravers were just more talented than others.

19. David Atherton

Curtis Clay believes the unusual feature on the portrait is most likely a die break too. After further consideration using Occam's razor, I cannot but agree with him. It's far more likely it's just a simple die break, rather than a new variant laurel wreath with 'ties'.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gorgeous => congrats on that sweet OP-score, V70 (very cool addition)

I have a didrachm example from the same place, but twenty years later ...

Nerva AR Didrachm
    CAPPADOCIA, Caesaraea-Eusebia

AD 96-98
    Struck AD 98
    Diameter: 20 x 22 mm
    Weight: 6.64 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head right
    Reverse: Club set on ground; date in legend
    Reference: Metcalf, Caesarea 45; Sydenham, Caesarea 153

Nerva Club.jpg

=> batter up!!

Bing, icerain, Mikey Zee and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted