A Capta Conundrum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Apr 8, 2021.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Interpreting coin types can sometimes be a tricky business. My latest provincial is a good example of such.

rpc2309.jpg
    Domitian
    Æ21, 6.97g
    Caesarea Maritima mint, 92-93 AD?
    Obv: IMP DOMIT AVG GERM; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: VICTOR AVG; Trophy
    RPC 2309 (9 spec.). Hendin 731.
    Acquired from Marc Breitsprecher, March 2021.

An undated Latin bronze Struck for Domitian at the Roman colony of Caeserea Maritima in possibly 92 or 93. The reverse features a trophy, commemorating either the Jewish War fought by Domitian's father and brother or his own Germanic war against the Chatti. A palm tree reverse, an undisguised Judaea Capta type, was struck for Domitian at this mint, so one can argue on reasonable ground the trophy reverse is also a Judaea Capta type. The Palm tree is dated TR P XI (92), but the trophy is undated and may not have been struck contemporaneously, possibly allowing for a different context (Germanic?). We simply do not know. It certainly would be enticing for provincial elites to advertise the emperor's own achievements.

Feel free to post your conundrum coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A great coin and an interesting puzzle as well.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

If it is in Hendin, it probably is a Judaea Capta type.....I would think.
    What does Hendin say about it?

Orfew and David Atherton like this.
  5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Hendin has quite a lot to say actually (pp. 415-419). His basic theory is that it and the other types are messages intended for the local populace and continue the Judaea Capta propaganda of Vespasian and Titus. Carradice and RPC disagree and place the types in a more generic imperial setting.

I take a middle approach - I'll accept the palm tree as a Judaea Capta, but I'm not convinced that the trophy and victory types are as well. I'm more inclined to think the trophy type at least is an allusion to Domitian's victories in Germania, although (like Hendin) I have no evidence to back it up!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Volodya, Deacon Ray, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great coin and post @David Atherton. The trophy of arms possibly commemorating Germanic victories is a fascinating idea.

DOMITIAN_ANTIOCH_POST_IT.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted