A call for ancient coin images

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jun 29, 2016.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm working up a fabric design for men's neckties. Doug's suggestion was good: use an assortment of coins from forum members. A provisional design of the fabric and additional discussion is in this thread.

(Mockup of a provisional design. The ties will be made from fully printed fabric, unlike this mockup which has a white reverse.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rather than randomly digging through old posts, I'd prefer you to post pictures in this thread. The images don't have to be huge, but they do need to be crisply focused and well-lit. A black background is preferred but if you aren't good at editing the background, I will do that part.

I'd like a mix of metals: silver, gold, bronze.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

One of the sharper black background images I have with a decent portrait and reverse.

V513.JPG

dlhill132, Okidoki, icerain and 8 others like this.
  4. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I must say I love your awesome geeky coin clothing accessories! I would love a tank top along these lines.

My coin collection focus has been primarily on completing a series, rather than quality, so not everything I have is to the standards of Ancient Joe. But I do have this Alexander Babylon Mint stater:

alexanderIIIstater.jpg

(Note: Although my day job is an IT Project Manager, I don't have great IT skills, i just know how to run a project, so if you could add the black background that would be awesome. :) )

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks, Greg and @vespasian70. Greg, that's a nice one and I'll edit the background.

The coins don't have to be "FDC"-- any favorite coins would be great, as long as they are well-photographed. Some auction houses have decent images so if your own photos aren't up to snuff, the auction image might be good enough.

To both of you (and others): huge high-resolution images aren't necessary but it might be better for them to be a bit larger than the two posted :).

David Atherton likes this.
  6. David Atherton

Unfortunately that dealer image is the only one I have of that particular coin, acquired from Ancient Auction House almost 10 years ago. Here is another image that is larger, but perhaps with a background which may not be suitable.

V1422C.jpg

Acquired from Harry Sneh and using his image. It has one of my favourite portraits of Vespasian.

7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'll submit several. Feel free to use one, some, or neither.

AC59067.jpg 0001 Kyzicos Boar Hemiobol.jpg Caracalla Denarius 201AD As Sol Rector Orbis.jpg Alexander III Tetradrachm.jpg Trajan Mars.jpg

8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sallent and TIF like this.
  9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It's even more stunning in the hand. The depth of the portrait is hard to capture in pictures. I probably spent quite a bit more on that one than I would normally spend on a denarius. I could have probably bought 3 decent RR or Imperial denarii for the price I paid for that one, but it's easy to see why it was worth every penny. Trajan is probably at the top of my list when it comes to Roman emperors, so if I had to get one "museum quality" imperial for my collection, Trajan was it!

GregH and David Atherton like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

AEOLIS, KYME.jpg Mn Fonteius 2b.jpg L Furius CNF Brocchus.jpg Marcus Antonius  2.jpg Septimius Severus 8.jpg I know my coins are on the lower end so use any, all or none.

dlhill132, GregH, Okidoki and 11 others like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I guess I'll wait a bit and see if any more specific eras/types are still needed since my photos are almost always a tad less than desired...and then offer what I can:)

13. David Atherton

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Aw hell yes I want me some ties. CNG probably has some fantastic photos you can snag. Our photographer is on vacation this week, though. Can I get back to you next week?

Alegandron, TIF and stevex6 like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

16. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

@TIF do we need to own the images? All of my good photos are images from the vendor websites.

I only have one photo to offer that I took myself. I don't know if you can sharpen the image in any way, but it is the very first silver coin issued by Republican Rome.
    Rome #1 AR.png

Vendor supplied photos
    ancientcoinguru.png Aes Grave Triens 001.png Aes Grave Triens obv.png Tuder aes grave.png

panzerman, Okidoki, icerain and 7 others like this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> are you up to it?

[​IMG]

Scalight, Okidoki, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  18. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'll see if I have more that you can use.

panzerman, dlhill132, Okidoki and 9 others like this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, all of those images are problematic (small, low-res, poor focus, etc) :(

The hand may be usable. Where's the reverse?

As for using vendor's images, I'm not sure. Maybe you'd need to ask permission.

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sure-- this isn't going to happen fast. I have a bunch of distracting must-dos in the next week or more. I'll work on this when I can, so keep posting pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted