A British bottom feeder in 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Jan 21, 2021.

1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I expect them to be on par with services that cost the same or less. So far their error rate is too high for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Yes, a 10% error rate (in my case) is way too high. I was being sarcastic! I could accept 1%.

+VGO.DVCKS and svessien like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That's frustrating Donna. I've had maybe 5 or 6 DHL deliveries and they are usually very fast and haven't messed up with the addresses yet.

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  5. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

It's not necessarily "perfection" to merely get it right.

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  6. DonnaML

I still ask dealers to use DHL (or Fedex or UPS Express) when I can. The prospect of getting packages from the UK or the Continent in less than 48 hours, as compared to waiting weeks for regular international mail, is too overwhelmingly tempting to resist, despite the risk of error. And, after all, I was lucky in that I did eventually receive the two mis-delivered packages.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Would it be an option to ask your apartment manager to sign for and receive this sort of thing on your behalf? ...Or am I just stupidly fortunate when it comes to apartment managers?

8. DonnaML

If you mean me, that wouldn't help if they bring it to the wrong building! Anyway, we don't have a doorman, and the superintendent isn't usually around to take packages.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  9. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Shoot, I was afraid of something like that. My apartment manager --who is a Gem-- routinely holds stuff at the office, often emailing me when things arrive. I just go to the office and pick them up. In a larger apartment complex, that probably wouldn't work....

10. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Please don't get me started on DHL...:(

The plate I mentioned in my previous post was left outside on my front porch in -28C. by DHL without even bothering to knock, ring or any other notification of delivery. When I accidentally noticed it an hour later it was, of course, frozen stiff. As it thawed the condensation droplets literally dripped onto the table. Premium way to handle antiques and at 100 Euro plus in shipping a bargain. Right?

I've asked sellers that they use another shipper as well, but have yet to meet one willing to do so.

But I like to end on a positive note. So here we go.
    I got this one in the mail a few days ago: a fine portrait of Tyche at bottom-feeding price.
    Delicately lobotomized but proud, I don't think this lady would look out of place in Hieronymus Bosch's purgatory or hell.

And, yes Norway is a great place to be. The skies at dawn and dusk when it's really cold...Breathtaking!

1571368_1607291668.jpg I.png

Draft saved Draft deleted