Featured A brief history of the Pilgrim commemorative half dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, Aug 8, 2021.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Pilgrim 64 All.jpg

Revenues from the sales of the Pilgrim Tercentenary Commemorative Half Dollar were used to sponsor a celebration that marked the 300th anniversary of the founding of the settlement in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The coins were distributed through the National Shawmut Bank of Boston.

At the end of 1920, it seemed that the demand for the coin had not been exhausted. Given that the authorized number of pieces had not been struck, and additional mintage was struck in 1921. The sales were disappointing, and most of the 1921 dated pieces and some of the 1920 issue were returned to the mint and melted.

The obverse features William Bradford (1590 to 1657) who was the governor of the Plymouth Colony for all but five years between 1621 and 1657. He replaced the first governor, John Carver, who had died of influenza soon after the settlers landed in the late fall of 1620. He was a popular and effective leader who led the group though some of its most trying times.

The Pilgrims were a religious separatist group who immigrated to America from Holland. Their movement originated in England, where their desire to break entirely from the official religion, The Church of England, made them totally unacceptable to King James I.

They immigrated to Leyden, Holland where they were welcome to practice their religion as they saw fit, but barred from craftsmen’s guilds which forced them to take low-paying menial jobs. They also saw that after 12 years, their children were taking on the ways of the Dutch instead of the English. These factors prompted them to immigrate to America.

They landed north of their intended destination at the tip of Cape Cod, near modern Provence Town. Noting that the area did not look hospitable, they eventually chose Plymouth, Massachusetts for their settlement.

The first year was very hard. Half of the settlers died from exposure and disease during their first winter. In the spring, some friendly Indians helped them to learn to plant corn, which became an important staple. Just when it appeared that they were going to have a reasonably good winter, another boatload of settlers arrived from England. Once more they were on short rations.

Despite the privations, the colony was able to survive. Its growth potential was limited, however. The waters in the port in Plymouth were too shallow to support the ships that would have made the colony thrive, as it did for the Puritans in Boston. In addition, the Pilgrims strict code of conduct discouraged others from joining their sect. Ultimately, they were absorbed into the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the late 1600s.

The Fate of the Mayflower
    The reverse of the coin features and image of the Mayflower, the ship that took the Pilgrims to America. After landing in Plymouth in the fall of 1620 it remained there until the spring when it returned to its home port, Rotherhithe, England, which is located down the Themes River from London. Its next assignment was to carry a load of salt to France. Following that assignment, the ship’s captain and partial owner, Christopher Jones, died, perhaps from the deprivations he had suffered in America. For the next two years, the ship remained tied up at port until it became a rotting hulk. It was sold and broken up for salvage in 1624.

The coin above is housed in an NGC “old fatty holder.” It has medium browning toning, lots of luster and virtually mark-free surfaces. As such it is a very high end example for the assigned MS-64 grade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Love the write up. Something about the design of this coin has always made it one of my favorites.

Mine is raw, AU-ish.

5C87D490-B197-451E-B0C8-40302849941B.jpeg
    BAA8DA53-0AAA-4936-B754-26A58DFCBEA5.jpeg

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Very interesting. My wife is a descendant of the Mayflower folks.

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You are fortunate. My father-in-law tried really hard to find a link, but could not prove one.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The piece has a wonderful aesthetic quality to its' design. The Pilgrim commem is one of the very few that I liked even when I was a kid.

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Nice write-up...thanks.

Raw (cracked out of an AU58 PCGS slab)...1920...

50C 1920 Pilgrim.png

8. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Good write up. Recently read a book called The Mayflower The families the voyage and the founding of America. I believe it was written by an English author that lives over there. Very briefly focused on the voyage itself, which in itself was a harrowing experience with tight quarters on an overloaded ship. Most of the book goes into far more detail than I imagined we had info for. In all honesty was pretty dry reading but did open my eyes to the full extent of the struggles they had. Very in depth. Some brutal stuff happened while they were hashing things out. Didn't have many horses or cows to work with for quite a while. They owed a lot of money to the people who financed their trip. They worked and traded with indians to send products back to England to pay the debts. There was a lot of initial strife as some families did not want their loved ones to leave England.

I never realized the journey to America took two months but the return journey took only a month. The Mayflower was a slow merchant ship at the time never meant to haul that many passengers. They initially set off with another ship, the Speedwell but after two attempts, the Speedwell sprang leaks and both trips they had to turn around. At last they left the Speedwell behind and those passengers crammed onto the Mayflower while some decided to stay behind. Another interesting tidbit, the Mayflower carried cannons. They feared pirates and possible indian attack so they were packing. Most of them had to live on the ship to survive the first winter. It didn't sound like a pleasant experience.

Here's my MS-64. I bought the silver set and the gold $10 proof last year to go with it for the 400th. All beautiful coins.
    Pilgrim Commem obv.JPG Pilgrim commem rev.JPG

10. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I think I have three of these because I like the ship and the waves. One is BU, one is nicely toned and then this one for my very worn commemorative set

upload_2021-8-8_20-6-41.jpeg

upload_2021-8-8_20-7-0.jpeg

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

On the pilgrim theme, here is a Mardi Gras Doubloon I caught in 1970 from Pete Fountain's Half/Fast Walking Club. Doubloons were tossed into the crowd as the band walked past on Poydras Street in downtown New Orleans. I was able to snag this one!

Anyway, saluting the Pilgrims!

Obverse...

20210808_170835.jpg

Reverse... 20210808_170808.jpg

12. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I just learned today that only 37 of the 102 passengers were Separatists aka Puritans. It's interesting that I spent my whole "educated" life with the impression that everybody on board was seeking religious freedom. My maternal grandmother traced her genealogy back to a bit later in the 1620s and my paternal grandfather claimed that his side went back to the Mayflower, but I'm skeptical of the latter. I ran into the number of actual Separatists on board from this BBC article, which is interesting for the estimates of Mayflower descendants living today. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57698818

The coin is one of my favorite designs. I got mine from my grandmother.
    1920_50_Pilgrim_final.JPG

13. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

I am also a fan of the design. Here is a FS-901 I cherrypicked last year.

Attached Files:

14. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Very nice write-up, @johnmilton , and one of my favorite of the classic commems.

Here's mine in its error slab:

1921 Pilgrim 50c obv.jpg 1921 Pilgrim 50c rev2.jpg

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Very nice write up on the Pilgrim Commemorative Half, great history and a great time to live in the US even if the coin sales didn't meet the expectations! I don't have the half dollar but here's my Pilgrim Token, a lot of Pilgrim talk around that era! :D

pilgrim57.JPG

16. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Nice one!

I don’t have a Pilgrim commemorative but I do have a California commemorative also an MS64.

06AF859A-708F-4538-B563-68A244ED2CE8.jpeg
    3C9F333A-9F34-4233-9D5E-ACBF6FF59214.jpeg

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Too lazy to take it out of the 2x2.
    Pilgrim2.png

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m not into commemorative coons but I need four of them for my Dansco. This was the first one I choose. 5A414311-49CF-4155-9CFD-E5BFCFFA0911.jpeg 6EDAD85A-AB9F-469F-8593-969C857E8307.jpeg

19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I grew up being told that I am a descendant of William Bradford, the man on the coin, though I have never seen the full family tree confirming this. I do believe it to be true, however. This is through my maternal line (Radeker). I'm nearly certain that my grandmother was a member of the Mayflower Society. My mother still gets the quarterly publications.

Family lore once had it that my maternal grandmother or one of her relatives owned a 17th century silver candlestick (or pair of them?) which had belonged to Bradford, but again, that’s misty legend. I never saw it/them when we were dividing up her estate in 1993, though there were other treasures. I do find the candlestick rumor plausible, given my grandmother’s quite affluent background.

Because of this, the Pilgrim Tercentenary half has always been a “must have” coin for me. Below are the two examples I have owned; my previous one first and then the one I have now (which, like the coin in the OP, is also in an old NGC "no-line-fatty" holder).

Neither of these came down as family heirlooms- I bought them.

0F098648-E861-4EF9-9447-CD4940E1C332.png B7360128-63C9-44E3-A89D-AFF10CDF8DD9.png

kountryken, Vess1, CygnusCC and 7 others like this.
  20. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Very interesting Rob!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Interesting, my wife has a friend that also had a family member that came on the Mayflower. If I can find out who I'll post it.

Draft saved Draft deleted